Oklahoma Historic Places Database


Historic Place of the Day

Davenport Broadway Avenue Brick Street

Located on the famous Route 66 "Curve" midway between Okla. City and Tulsa, Davenport is a bustling little town where travelers can still drive on one of the few strips of original Portland cement that was laid for the Mother Road highway. From the "Y" at 7th and Broadway one can drive south on two blocks of cement paving to the brick pavement that was laid with Davenport bricks in 1925-26. ...

Latest Updates

48 Milepost Old State Line

This site was 48 miles from Fort Smith on the military road that ran south to Texas.

Green Corn Dance

Greatest ceremonial rite of Creek Indians was Green Corn Dance. It was held at time of year before corn had fully matured and while grains were soft. Dance was celebration of harvest season and was of intense religious devotion. In preparation for festival old fires were extinguished and new ones, lighted from old fire embers. Main fire was placed in center of square area. Around this centr ...

Blue Canyon Wind Farm

Blue Canyon Wind Farm Blue Canyon Wind Farm's forty - five 230-feet tall Neg Micon wind turbines provide affordable, pollution-free power to approximately 22,000 Oklahoma rural Home. For more information, please visit the Operation Building. Continue north on 58 and head 11/2 miles west on Highway 19. Project Developed and Operated by: Zilkha Power Purchased by WfEC (Weste ...

Black Beaver

Black Beaver The famous Delaware Indian Scout 1806-1880 Lived 1/2 mile NW of Anadarko, His gravesite was located near his home site before being moved to Ft. Sill, Comanche County, Ok

Birthplace of the State of Oklahoma

The Birthplace of the State of Oklahoma Purcell The Inter-territory Statehood Convention, the first to advocate single Statehood for Oklahoma and Indian Territories met on September 30, 1893 in Purcell's Methodist Episcopal Church, south at approximately 319 W. Washington, Delegates from both Territories formulated and sent to Congress Resolutions asking for admission to the Union as one S ...

Big Pasture

Big Pasture When Kiowa - Comanche - Apache lands in Oklahoma opened to white settlement 1901. There were 505,000 acres reserved as grazing lands. This area became known as Big Pasture most of region leased for cattle ranching. Because of soil's fertility, white people sought opening of Big Pasture to settlement and farming. Congress passed Act, signed by President ...

Beecham Cemetery

Beecham Cemetery South side of Marker Nathan and Almira Beecham 'Pioneers' to Oklahoma, gave this plot of ground in 1891 to become the Beecham Cemetery. Their two children, Guy Will and Neti Pearl Beecham, were the first to be interred here. Descendants and friend of the pioneer have since extablished perpetual care for this cemetery. North side of Marker: Donated by the children of ...

Beaver County Historical Marker (Hwy 3)

Marker shows a map of Beaver County with a list of historical places.

Battle of Turkey Springs I.T.

7 Mi. N. of Here Last known encounter between Indians & U.S. Army in Okla. here Sept. 13-14, 1878. Northern Cheyenne led by Dull Knife & Little Wolf fled Darlington Agency at Ft. Reno to return to Dakotas. Crossing Woods Co. they killed 2 cowboys employed by W.R. Colcord & engaged portions of Cos. G & H. 4th Cavalry, under Capt. Joseph Rendlebrock at Turkey Springs. Arapaho scout & 3 soldie ...

Battle of Round Mountains

Here between the landmark known as Round Mountains to the south and a camp on Salt Cree three miles to the northwest was fought the first battle of the Civil War in Oklahoma. When the civilized tribes of the Indian Territory joined the Confederacy. A numerous group of fullblood Creeks under Oputhleyohola remained loyal to the Union. With wagons containing their families and household goods ...

Amos Chapman

Famous Civilian Indian Scout for the U.S. Army, was born in 1839 and died in 1925 He was one of five survivors of the 1874 Buffalo Wallow Fight, and was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his efforts. Chapman married a Cheyenne woman named Mary Longneck, the daughter of Chief Stone.

Rush Springs Bed and Breakfast

Rush Springs Bed and Breafast Step back in time and enjoy a relaxed overnight stay. The old Blades Hotel, built in 1902, this property is the oldest free standing brick hotel on the Chisholm Trail, has been completely refurbished and decorated with antiques.

   

A work in progress ...

This database is provided to help you explore the great state of Oklahoma.

The Oklahoma Historic Places Database is an on going project started on May 19, 2005. The information provided here was entered in by volunteers who visited or did research about each location. Some historic places may not have any information yet or even be listed. Though we strive for accuracy, some information could be incorrect.

The Oklahoma Historical Society (www.okhistory.org) provides a list on their web site of all the historic markers in Oklahoma. However at the time we started this project this list only contained the name of the marker and which county it was in. We used this list (as of February 16, 2005) to seed the Oklahoma Historic Places Database. (If you would like a copy of our seed list, visit here.)

Multiple sources including various books, internet web sites, and museum visits provide the information used to build the Oklahoma Historic Places Database.

Unless otherwised noted, information and images provided here are under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Exploring Oklahoma History is a labor of love for the great state of Oklahoma.

Labor omnia vincit