Kiowa County

County Seat: Hobart, Oklahoma 73651

Hobart, the seat of Kiowa County, is named for Vice President Garrett A. Hobart.

 

@blogoklahomaus
Camp Radziminski
Established Sept. 1858, by four troops of crack 2nd Cav. under Major Earl Van Dorn. Named in memory of Lt. Charles Radzimisnski, a former member of the Regt. E. Kirby Smith. Cornelius Van Camp, Fitzhugh Lee, W. B. Royall all served there. Permanent type buildings never erected; post abandoned ...
@blogoklahomaus
CCC Company 210
Civilian Conservation Corps and Quartz Mountain State Park Altus, Blair, Granite, Mangum and Lone Wolf, Oklahoma. This park was created between 1937 and 1939 by members of the Civilian Conservation Corps Company 210 the park surrounded by lake Lugert serves as an outdoor recreational facili ...
@blogoklahomaus
Chief Bugler's Grave
On Lake Shore On 5 March 1869 William Gruber, Lad of 20 of Topeka, KANS., Chief Bugler of 19th Kans. Cav was killed in hunting accident while his regiment in bivouac with supply train. Gruber "a favorite of everybody" was buried at dawn with "honors of war."Oklahoma Historical Society, 1959
@blogoklahomaus
Comancheria
The domain of the Comanches from early 1700's to Mid 1800's. Reached from the foot hills of the Rockies to New Mexico. Eastward to the cross timbers of Texas and Oklahoma and from the Arkansas River to Kansas, south to the Texas Pecos River, Rio Grande area. The Nation was 600 miles from no ...
@blogoklahomaus
Custer's Rendezvous
In This VicinityOn 2 Mar. 1896 with 2 regts. of cavalry Gen. G. A. Custer departed Medicine Creek Camp (Now Ft. Sill) on expedition against plains indians here on 5 March he met large suppy train dispatched for his use from Camp Supply by Gen P. H Sheridan. Oklahoma Historical Society 1959
@blogoklahomaus
Cutthroat Gap Massacre
The Cutthroat Massacre site is approximately 2.5 miles east of this marker. In the early summer of 1833 the summer before "The Stars Fell" an Osage war party attacked an undefended Kiowa camp. The camp of Islandman, a' d' ate Principal Chief of the Kiowas, consisted of women, children , ...
@blogoklahomaus
Ebenezer Mennonite Church and Cemetery
Ebenezer Mennonite Church 1907 - 1972 Hitherto Hath the Lord helped us I. Samuel 7:12
@blogoklahomaus
General Franks Institute and Museum
Mission: The General Tommy Franks Leadership Institute and Museum will utilize its collection, facilities, and resources to advance the understanding of historical events, encourage leadership development and inspire enlightened decision making by providing a forum of critical thinking through ...
@blogoklahomaus
Gold Belle Mine and Milling Co.
Gold Belle Mine and Milling Co. The Gold Belle Mining and Milling Company was formed around 1900 by Wildmand and Williams near the rough mining town of Wildman. The Gold Belle Co. erected a 50 tone cyanide mill to process the gold ore. Today on the cooling tower and concrete foundation remain ...
@blogoklahomaus
Great Plains State Park / Tom Steed Lake
Located south of Hobart off Hwy 183, Great Plains State Park is nestled between the Wichita Mountains and Lake Tom Steed. The area offers water sports, boating, boat ramps, camping, RV parking, swimming beach, playground, picnic areas, cycling, mountain biking and hiking trails. The campground ...
@blogoklahomaus
In Memory of those who perished in the Babbs Fire
In Memory of those who perished in the Babbs Fire On Dec. 24, 1924 At a Christmas tree celebration Thirty six persons lost their Lives
@blogoklahomaus
Kiowa County Courthouse
The oldest operating courthouse in Oklahoma. A beautiful courthouse square that has bronze statues of military soldiers, a monument water fountain built by the Women's Temperance Union in the 1900's, and a monument of Augustus Hobart, who the town of Hobart is named after.* Kiowa County Court ...
@blogoklahomaus
Kiowa County Mosaic
On of the largest tile mosaics in the country is located on the Kiowa County courthouse square. It portrays the history of Kiowa County. It was dedicated as part of the Oklahoma Centennial on May 28th, 2007.
@blogoklahomaus
Kiowa County Museum
Kiowa County Museum
@blogoklahomaus
Kiowa Tribal Museum
The Kiowa Tribe Museum and Resource Center opened its doors in 1984, all the artifacts are Kiowa.
@blogoklahomaus
Lake Altus-Lugert
Located in Southwest Oklahoma, near city of Lone Wolf. The lake is approximately 6,500 acres of open water: the park area covers 4,300 land acres. Fish species include largemouth bass, walleye, crappie, catfish, hybrid striped bass, and white bass. Fishing is available year-round. Several boat ...
@blogoklahomaus
Lugert, Oklahoma
Bird Eye View of Lugert, OK 1908 Lugert, Oklahoma Austrian Immigrant, Frank Lugert (1868~1958) Founded the town of Lugert when the Kiowa~Comanche~Apache Reservation opened for settlement in 1901. Mr. Lugert ran the Post Office, train depot, and the general store. The town with a pe ...
@blogoklahomaus
Millie Durgan
Millie Durgan, White Captive, Kiowa Name: Sain-to-hoodle. Captured at age eighteen months in the Elk Creek Raid. No. Texas, Fall, 1864. Adopted by the Kiowa tribe and married a Kiowa named Goombi. True identity not known until three years before her death in 1934. Buried in the Old Rainy Mt. ...
@blogoklahomaus
Mountain Park Dam / Tom Steed Reservoir
Mountain Park Dam: built to serve Mountain Park master conservancy and the people of the United States. Tom Steed Reservoir: In honor of Tom Steed, member of U.S. Congress and in appreciation of his dedicated work for the Mountain Park Project.
@blogoklahomaus
Old Mountain View Townsite
Established in 1899, in what was thought to be Washita Co., the town was moved 2 mi. S.W. to Kiowa Co. in 1930 because an error in the original survey placed the first site outside of the legal authority of local officials. XXth Century Club.
@blogoklahomaus
Old Rainy Mountain Cemetery K - C - A Intertribal Burial Grounds
Old Rainy Mt. Cemetery K~C~A Intertribal Burial Grounds Kiowa~Comanche~Apache This is the original Cemetery and has the graves of some of the well-known Indians of the area.
@blogoklahomaus
Quanah Parker - The Last Comanche Chief
Quanah Parker the last of the Comanche chief was born in Elk Creek just below the Wichita mountains circa 1850. Quanah, the son of Pitih Norony and Cynitha Ann Parker who was captured by the Comanches, became a fierce warrior and skillfully defended Comancheria against all invades. Col. Ronald ...
@blogoklahomaus
Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center
Located 17 miles north of Altus in the Wichita Mountains of southwestern Oklahoma near the Texas border, Quartz Mountain Resort Arts and Conference Center is ideally located just two and a half hours from Oklahoma City and four hours from Dallas, TX making it the perfect location for corporate ...
@blogoklahomaus
Quartz Mountain Resort Park
Features/Facilities: 6,260 Lake Acres - 4,284 Park Acres - Resort Lodge (118 guest rooms and suites) - 8 Two-bedroom Cabins (with kitchenettes) - Mountainview Bunkhouse (64-person dormitory) - Performing Arts Complex - 5 Performing Arts Pavilions - Outdoor Amphitheatre (capacity of 200) - 5 Cam ...
@blogoklahomaus
Rainy Mountain Kiowa Indian Baptist Church
Rainy Mtn. Kiowa Indian Baptist Church Est. 1893 First Missionaries Marieeta K. Reeside (AM ~ DE ~ GO) Lauretta Ballew Women's Baptist Home Mission Society Chicago Julia Given Hunt ~ First Interpreter Charter Members Mrs. BIGTREE (OMEBO) ~ First Convert GOTEBO her brother ...
@blogoklahomaus
Saddle Mountain Store
Saddle Mountain Store Established 1907 SADDLE MOUNTAIN.....Sec. 31, T5N, R16W......Located 16 miles south of Mountain View near the south edge of the Kiowa County line. Store was a small general store and a fourth class post office. Some customers came to the store at 5 or 6 A.M. as they star ...
@blogoklahomaus
Site of Babbs Switch Tragic School Fire
Site of Babbs Switch Tragic School Fire On Dec. 24, 1924 35 people lost their lives while attending a Christmas party in a one room frame school house. The fire was started by a candle on a Christmas tree. A school building was built here in memorial and a model to point the way to saf ...
@blogoklahomaus
Snyder Cyclone of 1905
In memory of thirty - four unknown men, women and children who perished in the cyclone of May 10, 1905
@blogoklahomaus
The Great Western Cattle Trail Southwest Oklahoma
Quanah parker and the Comanches surrendered at Ft. Sill in 1875. Texas ranchers, beginning in 1876, created the 1000 mile trail from southern Texas to Dodge City, Ogallala, and other northern markets. In Indian Territory, plains Indians were skilled as diplomats offering right of passa ...
@blogoklahomaus
W. C. Austin
W.C. Austin Whose Life was completely dedicated to the service of his God, His Country, His Community and His Fellow Man. Who never turned away from a call for his helping hand. Who asked as his reward for accomplishment only another chance to serve. Loved and ...
@blogoklahomaus
Wyatt Cemetery and Hill School
Wyatt Cemetery and Hill School Hill School was located 4 miles south, 1 west of Gotebo on the Edward Hill land. It was a one room school from 1907 to 1939. The school was the site of the community activities, such as spelling and ciphering matches, standing room only at the box suppers and C ...