Statue in front of the Jackson County Courthouse
Crossing The Red
Altus Rotary Club
Pioneer Settlers of Jackson County
on the 100th Anniversary of the
Founding of th City of Altus
Friendship was once called Alfalfa, serving as the site of the Alfalfa Post Office from 1903 to 1905. Clabber Flat School, which began one mile west and one-half mile north of here in 1899, became the first Friendship Sch ...
Dedicated in memory of parents, teachers and friends who thought us the true meaning of friendship, scholarship, sportsmanship, leadership and honor.
For more than sixty years Friendship schools
Great Western Trail Markers
In 1874 Captain John T. Lytle and several Cowboys left South Texas with 3,500 head of longhorn cattle. Five years later the route Lytle cut out of the prairie to Ft. Robinson, Nebraska, had become the m ...
The Altus - Jackson County Well - Hand dug in 1889-90 by Mr. Sam Neal who homesteaded the lands that comprise downtown Altus this well was 35 feet deep and was walled with brink. Rediscovered in 1989, this restoration project has been a ...
The Great Western Cattle Trail
Began in southern Texas after Quanah Parker and the Comanches surrendered at Fort Sill in 1875.
Due to the failing Post-Civil War economy in Texas. Ranchers developed a 1,000 mile tra ...
Western Cattle Trail
In 1875 the last free bands of Comanches and Kiowas were confined to the reservations at Fort Sill, allowing regular cattle drives over the Western Cattle Trail, which continued until about 1888. By the time the ...