Site of first Washita County court house
Cloud Chief, originally Tacola, served as the first county seat. Area settled by land run April 19, 1892. August 7, 1900, citizens voted to move county seat to Cordell. U.S. Supreme Court voided the election since U.S. Congress had designated Cloud CHief the county seat. In 1906, Congress officially named Cordell the co. seat.
Town of Cloud Chief is on OK 54, 8 miles south of the Intersection of OK 152 and OK 54. Go East 1.4 miles marker on North side of road.Cloud Chief, OK, Washita, Co.
Marker has two sides, East side is Tacola/Cloud Chief School, West side is Cloud Chief Courthouse.