Walters


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Founded at the opening of Kiowa-Comanche-Apache lands, the original townsite of Walters was in Comanche County, SW 1/4, T-2-S, R-11-W. Its original name, McKnight, was rejected because another post office had that name. The name Walters was then chosen in honor of City Commissioner W. R. Walter in September 1901. The Town of Walters incorporated in December 1902, but the post office and depot used "Walter" until an Act of Congress in June 1917 made "Walters" official. *


Directions:

699 W. Missouri Ave., Walters, Oklahoma


34.361871, -98.317713
OpenStreetMap | Google Maps | Bing Maps

Pictures:

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

   

 

* Information from Oklahoma Historical Society

Other places listed in Cotton County