T.J. Barnes came to Indian Territory in 1898 to practice law. With statehood, Barnes became the first county judge for McCurtain county. He was also a banker and newspaper man. In 1911, Barnes began the process of constructing a new residence. His home, the Barnes-Stevenson House, was designed by renowned Oklahoma architect Jewell Hicks, and built between 1911-1912. The four-story with basement house was under construction for more than 14 months and utilized the best materials available. This queen anne style home has two circular towers on the front facade, as well as a full-width front porch on both the first and second stories at the front of the house. The house was one of the first in the area to have indoor plumbing. Listed in the national register 11/17/1978.
303 SE Adams St, Idabel, Oklahoma
National Register of Historic Places