Military Road - Choctaw Trail of Tears


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Cut from Washington, Ark., to Fort Towson in 1831 for removal of Choctaws from Miss., became known is Choctaw Trail of Tears after thousands of suffering Indians used it to reach new lands. Road served as major east-west artery for Choctaw Nation until early 1900s. Imported early Choctaw settlements on road were Harris Mill, Eagletown, Lukfata. Wheelock and Clear Creek. Segments of road still identifiable still visible.

Oklahoma historical Society203 -- 1995


Directions:

Marker located on US Highway 70 in Broken Bow, Oklahoma

Google Map
34.02632584735767, -94.73738193511963
Google Maps | OpenStreetMap | Mapquest | Bing Maps

Pictures:

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

 

 

Links: * GPS coordinates from other source

Other places listed in McCurtain County