First Commercial Long Distance Telephone Line in Oklahoma


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Telephones in 1886

The first commercial long distancetelephone line in Oklahoma wasplaced in service here in 1886. It connected Fort Gibson withTahlequah and Muskogee. The linewas built by a company formed by agroup of Cherokees, namely: L.B. Bell,J.S. Stapler, J.B. Stapler, C.W. Turner, John S. Scott and E.D. Hicks.

The monument erected as a publicservice by Southwestern Belltelephone company.


Directions:

Historic Fort Gibson, Fort Gibson, Oklahoma


35.80359638156578, -95.25697946548462
OpenStreetMap | Google Maps | Bing Maps

Pictures:

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Other places listed in Muskogee County