Auction Of Lawton Townsite Lots


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Auction Of Lawton Townsite Lots
6 August 1901

On 6 August 1901 lots in the original Lawton townsite were auctioned to the highest bidder. A crowd of thousands waited in the broiling August sun for a chance to acquire a lot in the 320 acre townsite which President William McKinley set aside when Comanche, Apache, and Kiowa lands were opened to settlement. The original site was bounded on the north by Gore Boulevard, on the east by Railroad Street, on the south by F. Street, and on the west by 11th street. By 31 August all 1422 lots had been sold at prices ranging from $35.00 to $3545.00. The figure on the right foreground represents on of the pioneer settlers, E.P. McMahon.

This sculpture by Paul Raye Moore depicts the first day of the auction and is dedicated in celebration of Lawton's centennial year. 2001


Directions:

Thomas Elmer Park / Great Plains Museum
Farris and 17th Street

Lawton, OK


34.616091, -98.396842
OpenStreetMap | Google Maps | Bing Maps

Pictures:

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)
Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

       

 

More Pictures:
Auction Of Lawton Townsite Lots Auction Of Lawton Townsite Lots Auction Of Lawton Townsite Lots Auction Of Lawton Townsite Lots 100_8381 100_8392 Auction Of Lawton Townsite Lots Auction Of Lawton Townsite Lots 100_8383 100_8384 100_8386 100_8387 100_8388 100_8389 100_8390 100_8391

Other places listed in Comanche County