OKLAHOMA'S FIRST COMMERCIAL OIL WELL
Nellie Johnstone No. 1, first commercial oil well in Indian Territory, completed April 15, 1897, by the Cudahy Oil Co., on the south bank of the Caney River. Site is 3.1 mi. N. W. of this marker.
Oklahoma Historical Society and
State Highway Commission 1963
Metal highway marker on U.S. Highway 75 east of Bartlesville,OK
Nellie Johnstone No. 1 ** (added 1972 - Structure - #72001077) Also known as First Commercial Oil Well in Oklahoma