Cantonment

Cantonment Site about 2 mi. N. Post established on Cheyenne-Arapaho Reservation, March 6, 1879, by 23rd Inf., under Col. Richard Doge. He completed his book "Our Wild Indians" there. Post abandoned in June, 1882. Stone buildings were part of Mennonite Mission. Rev. S.S. Haury, Seupt., for many years: U.S. Indian School, 1897: Indian Agency, 1903
On State Highway 51, west of Canton, Oklahoma
Exploring Oklahoma History
** Directions from Mark of Heritage, by Muriel H. Wright

Thanks to Jeff from Omaha, NE for Picture.