Back side of Monument:
Quanah Parker - The Last Comanche Chief
Quanah Parker the last of the Comanche chief was born in Elk Creek just below the Washita mountains circa 1850. Quanah, the son of Pitih Norony and Cynitha Ann Parker who was captured by the Comanches, became a fierce warrior and skillfully defended Comancheria against all invades. Col. Ronald McKenzie pursued Quanah for years but never captured or defeated him. The destruction of the buffalo forced Quanah to lead the Comanche down this trail to Fort Sill in June 1878. A born leader Quanah bridged the great gap between the old world as a War Chief to the new life as a Civil Chief without losing his Comanche identity. A prominent and influential figure he made numerous politic and economic issues. (Quanah) In 1889 he built Star House a ten room two story house ten mile NE of this sight for his wifes, children and anyone who was seeking help. Quanah was buried in 1911 at Post Oak Mission seven miles NE and reburied 1957 in Fort Sill. The spirit of Quanah Parker the Eagle of the Comanches welcomes you to his scared home the Washita Mountains.