Jabbok Orphanage & School Memorial


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Jabbok Faith Missionary Training Home, Orphanage and Jabbok Bible Academy

In 1899 Mr. and Mrs Abe Eisenhower claimed a homestead on this site. In 1901, the Eisenhowers received a patent from the Territory of Oklahoma for the purposes of:

"The preaching of the gospel in every land to maintain a missionary home and bible school for the training of missionary workers for home and foreign mission work; to maintain an orphan's home. A holiness school; and for the publication of Christian religious literature."

An orphanage was established and maintained by the Eisenhower family until 1909, at which time a petition of transfer was made to the general conference of the Brethren in Christ church. A will was made on April 24, 1909, which conveyed the farm and buildings to the church on condition that an annual sum of $500 be paid to the donors for life. This payment was terminated in 1953 upon the death of Mrs. Eisenhower.

Between the years 1909 and 1924 the orphanage was managed by a number of volunteer workers and teacher. When the number of children decreased from a high of 55 to a low of 17 the orphanage was closed in 1924.

The first building for the Jabbok Faith Orphanage was a two room wooden structure in 1907 a 30 by 30 foot brick addition was constructed in 1929 this building was converted from a grad school, which had operated a such until 1929 to a dormitory for boys.

In 1910 work was begun on a building later to be known as "Old Main" the cost of three story 40 by 60 foot building with basement was approximately $8,800.

To make use of existing facilities and to carry out another provision of the original patent, the board of trustees under the leadership of bishop D. R. Eyster and Bro. J. R. Eyster, decided to open Jabbok Bible Academy on Spet 14, 1925 thirty students enrolled with Rev. P.J. Wiede serving as first president.

Approximately 305 students from 15 states attended Jabbok. Many of the graduates and students served as missionaries, church administrators, pastors, Sunday school teachers, church board members and Christian lay workers. The school closed in 1955.

A dairy begun during the Eisenhower years, continued to operate as a source of income and student employment until 1963. For many years milk was delivered to the Thomas community from this dairy. Jesse and Ruth Eyster managed the dairy for 22 years.

Since the closing of Jabbok the members of the Thomas brethren in Christ congregation have cultivated the land the proceeds go the mission program of the church at large.

Additional information regarding Jabbok can be obtained at the local Brethren in Christ church

Monument donated by the Jabbok Alumni Association.


Directions:

South side of cemetery at W. South and S. 15th, Thomas, Oklahoma. 1/2 mile South of Jabbok Orphanage & School historical marker at intersection of Hwy 33 and Hwy 47 on west side of Thomas, Oklahoma.


35.738152, -98.756656
OpenStreetMap | Google Maps | Bing Maps

Pictures:

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)
Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

     

 

The Brethren in Christ church is located just north of the Jabbok Orphanage & School historical marker at 723 E Broadway St, Thomas, Oklahoma.

Text from other side of Memorial:
In 1899 Abe Eisenhower, Uncle of President Dwight Eisenhower, and his wife Anna. Claimed a homestead on this site in 1901. They received a patent from Oklahoma Territory for the purpose of the preaching of the gospel in every land and to maintain a missionary home and bible school

(T)he Eisenhowers established and maintained an orphanage until 1909 when transfer was made to the general conference of the Brethren in Christ church from 1909 to 1924. The orphanage was managed by volunteer workers and teacher. a grade school continued in the facility.

Jabbok Bible School opened on September 14, 1925 with 30 students enrolled. Approximately 205 students from fifteen states attended Jabbok Bible School until it closed in 1955

A dairy begun by the Eisenhowers operated as a source of income and student employment until the school closed in 1955. Providing and delivering milk to the Thomas community. It then continued operating until 1963.

Additional information regarding Jabbok is on the back of this monument and also ban be obtained at the local Brethren in Christ church.

Monument donated by the Jabbok Alumni Association.
More Pictures:
Jabbok Faith Missionary Training Home, Orphanage and Jabbok Bible Academy Jabbok Faith Missionary Training Home, Orphanage and Jabbok Bible Academy Jabbok Faith Missionary Training Home & Orphanage
Jabbok Faith Missionary Training Home, Orphanage and Jabbok Bible Academy Jabbok Faith Missionary Training Home, Orphanage and Jabbok Bible Academy

Other places listed in Custer County