Burney Institute. Site in vicinity south. Established in 1854 by Chickasaw Council, Daugherty Colbert, Chief; David Burney, Joel Kemp, George D. James, A. V. Brown, school trustees. Opened as school for Chickasaw girls 1859, under supervision of Cumberland Presby. Bd., Rev. Robert S. Bell and wife, teachers. Name changed to Chickasaw Orphan Home and Manual Labor School, 1887
Highway 32 1 mile east of Lebanon, Oklahoma.
- www.chickasaw.net - Tribe to acquire historic Burney Institute
A jewel of Chickasaw history is soon to return to its rightful place with the Chickasaw Nation.
- Murrell Askew
- Burney Academy, Near Lebanon, Marshall County, Oklahoma
- The Burney Academy - Chickasaw Orphans Home