Fort Reno Marker


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Fort Reno
Old Post about 2 mi. N.
U.S. troops encamped near Cheyenne Agenceyin Indian uprising 1874. Site s.w. of agencyselected by Agt. J.D. Miles and Capt T. Wint,established as permanent post in July, 1875, and named for Gen. Jesse L. Reno who died in action in Battle of Antietam., 1862. Post abandodned Feb. 24, 1908. Reserve was U.S. remount station to 1949


Directions:

Fort Reno Visitor's Center 7107 W. Cheyenne, El Reno, OK- 4 miles west of El Reno on Route 66- 2 miles north of exit 119 of Interstate 40,Continue on east for .5 miles from Visitors centerhistorical marker is located on the north side of highway.


35.53735, -98.02607
OpenStreetMap | Google Maps | Bing Maps

Pictures:

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)
Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

 

 

More Pictures:
Fort Reno  Old Building and Marker

This Building was Fort Reno Indian Territory HDQTRS
General Philip H. Sheridan
During the Indian Wars of 1876
Moved to present site 1953
Building and Marker are now on display at the Canadian County Historal Society

Fort Reno  Old Building and Marker

This Building was Fort Reno Indian Territory HDQTRS
General Philip H. Sheridan
During the Indian Wars of 1876
Moved to present site 1953
Building and Marker are now on display at the Canadian County Historal Society

Gen.Jesse L. Reno

Fort Reno became a permanent post 1875 named for Gen. Jesse L. Reno who died in action in Battle of Antietam. 1862.

Other places listed in Canadian County