Capital of the Chickasaw Nation which was organized in 1856, under a written constitution. Named for revered Chief Tishomingo who had died on the Trail of Tears during Indian Removal from Mississippi. Last Chickasaw Governor was Douglas H. Johnston who served 39 years. Stone capitol was built in 1897. The Chickasaw Academy for boys created in 1851, about 3 miles S.E.
OK 22 & US 377/OK 99, Tishomingo, Oklahoma. Marker on south side of Main St., low to ground inside the Y.