Built by Marshal McCully who staked land on which house stands during Cherokee Strip run, September 1893. Plowed sod for and erected house August 1894. Used as McCully home until large frame house constructed 1909. Of the many thousands of sod houses one dotting plains of western America this is only one built by an original homesteader still standing. Site purchased and restoration begun 1964 by Oklahoma Historical Society as memorial to all pioneers of Oklahoma plains who lived in sod houses. Oklahoma Historical Society 1967.
1 mile east, 2 1/2 miles south of Aline, Oklahoma on State Highway 8.
- Tuesday - Friday 9am to 5pm
- Saturday - Sunday 2pm to 5pm
- Mondays & Holidays Closed
- Admission Free Admission
- Okahoma Historical Society Sod House Museum
- Picture of marker found on Flickr: Aline, Alfalfa Co., Oklahoma
- Wikipedia: Sod House
TeacherTube - Sod House of Oklahoma