Shawneetown

Many absentee Shawnee Indians migrated to this region from old Northwest Territory in early 1800's, settled and opened farms. A settlement of over 200 residents in vicinity became known as Shawneetown. Shawnees removed when land ceded to Choctaws in 1830. Choctaw Robert M. Jones farmed several hundred acres with black slaves here after removal of Choctaws from Mississippi. Post ofice established as Kulli Chuck Chu, 1882; became Culli Inla, 1886, and Shawneetown, August 16, 1892, with Robert M. Love (a descendant of Robert M. Jones) as postmaster. Sotre and post office were later moved north to higher ground away from river. Oklahoma Historical Society 207-1995
Marker located on bypass in South Idabel co-located with Miller Courthouse Marker
No GPS Location Mapped
Exploring Oklahoma History
Links:
  • lasr.net
    SHAWNEETOWN - Tells story of early settlement of Shawnee Indians southwest of present Idabel: land later became part of large plantation operated by Choctaw, Robert M. Jones. (Marker co-located with Miller Courthouse Marker)
* Description and directions from lasr.net.