Shawnee Mission


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Established in 1871 - The Society of Friends opened this mission for the Absentee Shawnee, this Christian work continuing 53 years among all Indian tribes living near here. The first log house was replaced by the present church building at the same site, 1885, now a museum owned and kept by Pottawatomie County Historical Society.


Directions:

South of Shawnee, Oklahoma, on Highway 18 (also known as S. Gordon Cooper Drive) across from the Tecumseh Cemetery *


35.293696, -96.925961
OpenStreetMap | Google Maps | Bing Maps

Pictures:

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

   

 

* Directions from Waymarking.com

Other places listed in Pottawatomie County