Harris House


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Built on Harris Ferry Road in 1867 by Judge Henry Churchhill Harris. Choctaw leader, jurist and diplomat, who established ferry on Red River prior to Civil Ward. Post office Opened As Harris May 22, 1894. House was centered in Pleasant Hill plantation and servied as headquarters for other Harris business interests. Home restored in 1949 by builder's grandson, Charles L. Harris and wife, Ruby. Placed on National Register of Historic Places in 1978.


Directions:

Marker on US Highway 259 south of Idabel, Oklahoma // From Idabel, OK on Hwy-259 South 13-1/2 mi, E2250 Rd East 2 mi, N4700 Rd North 1 mi, N2240 Rd East 1 mi, N4710 Rd North 1/10 mi, Pleasant Hill Rd East 1/2 mi


33.76844, -94.66963
OpenStreetMap | Google Maps | Bing Maps

Pictures:

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

   

 

National Register of Historic Places
Harris House (added 1978 - Building - #78003082)
Also known as Pleasant Hill
6 mi. (9.6 km.) S of Haworth, Haworth
  • Historic Significance: Person
  • Historic Person: Harris,Henry Churchill
  • Significant Year: 1867, 1877
  • Area of Significance: Social History, Exploration/Settlement
  • Period of Significance: 1850-1874, 1875-1899
  • Owner: Private
  • Historic Function: Domestic
  • Historic Sub-function: Single Dwelling
  • Current Function: Domestic
  • Current Sub-function: Single Dwelling
Links:
  • lasr.net
    HARRIS HOUSE - Presents story of county's oldest home built by Choctaw diplomat-jurist, 1867, Northeast of Harris. (Marker on US Highway 259 south of Idabel)
* GPS coordinates from other source.
** Images found via Google Search

Other places listed in McCurtain County