Site selected and named 1842 by Gen. Zachary Taylor, later Pres. of U.S.Fort established 1842 by 2nd Dragoons, occupied by several rifle, infantry, cavalry, artillery companies. Built to protect the Chickasaw and Choctaw Indians from Plains Indians and wagon trains moving west. With the Mexican War and after gold was discovered in California, Fort Washita became center of activity. Occupied during Civil War by Confederate forces. Not occupied any time thereafter by U.S. troops.
Fort Washita is located eleven miles east of Madill on SH 199, twelve miles northwest of Durant.