Fort Towson

Established May, 1824, under command of Col. Matthew Arbuckle to guard this region on Spanish border. Headquarters of Gen. S.B. Maxey, U.S. Army; abandoned at close of Civil War. In the vicinity, Doaksville was important trading center and one time capitol of Choctaw Nation, George Hudson, Principal Chief, 1860. Noted Choctaws included David Folsom and Robert M. Jones.*
On U.S. Highway 70. at east edge of the town of Fort Towson, Oklahoma*
Exploring Oklahoma History
Links: * Description and directions from Mark of Heritage by Muriel H. Wright (via Ft. Tours)

** Image from Google Street View