Fort Gibson


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Fort Gibson has a long and colorful history. The first post was erected by Colonel Matthew Arbuckle in 1824 and named for the head of the army's commissary department. At the time, it was the westernmost fort built by the military to guard the western frontier. **


Directions:

Located on OK-80 in Fort Gibson **

Google Map
No Map Location Given
Google Maps | OpenStreetMap | Mapquest | Bing Maps

Pictures:

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

 

 

** Information and directions from the Oklahoma Historical Society

Other places listed in Muskogee County