Euchee Mission Boarding School
Euchee Mission Boarding School In 1891, the Presbyterian Mission Board began plans to established a school among the Euchee Indians in this area. Much credit for founding the school is due to Samuel Brown, Noah Gregory, Henry Land, and William Sapulpa. Their work influenced the Creek council to appropriate money for the school from tribal funds. Buildings were constructed and the school opened in the fall of 1894 with about fifty students. At first the school was coeducational and had only two dormitories and a three-room schoolhouse all located on 40 Acers of tribal property about a mile east of Sapulpa. The council appointed a Euchee and Methodist minister, Noah Gregory, as the first superintendent, Henry Land and William Sapulpa served as second and third superintendents respectively. The school was improved enlarged and maintained by appropriations from the Creek council until 1928, when it was taken over and supported entirely y federal appropriations under supervision of the United States Indian Office. In 1947 the school closed. The land and buildings where sold to school district No. 33 for use by the public schools. Oklahoma Historical Society #233-1998.
7 South Mission Street, Sapulpa, Oklahoma. In front of Jr. High School.
- Euchee Indian Boarding School: http://www.rootsweb.com/%7Eokcreek/schools/euchee.htm