Oklahoma Historic Places Database


48 Milepost Old State Line

This site was 48 miles from Fort Smith on the military road that ran south to Texas.

Battle of Backbone Mountain

On Sept. 1, 1863, Confederates under Brig. Gen. W. L. Cabell ambushed a Union force commanded by Maj. Gen J. G. Blunt, but were driven off after a three hour battle. Later, on July 27, 1864, The Choctaw Battalion led by Capt. Jack McCur ...

Butterfield Overland Mail Rout

The Butterfield Overland Mail, which operated from September 15, 1858, until March 1, 1861, was a semiweekly mail and passenger stage service from St. Louis, Missouri, and Memphis, Tennessee, across northern Texas to San Francisco, Cali ...

Cavanal Hill

Cavanal Hill, the World's Highest Hill, Elevation 1999 ft.

Chief Mosholatubbee

Chief Mosholatubbee of the Choctaw Nation was strongly interested in the welfare of his people and banned the use of liquor in his district. One of the signers of the Treat of Dancing Rabbit Creek in 1830, which provided for the removal ...

Choctaw Agency

Building completed, and Maj. F. C. Armstrong was first Agent i 1832. Village became known as Skullyville. Choctaw Nation adopted new constitution in convention here, 1857. State Station for the Overland Mail to San Franciso 1858-61. Lea ...

First Military Road

Constructed by Captain John Stuart, of the Seventh Infantry, in 1832, the road ran between Fort Smith, Arkansas and Fort Towson in the Choctaw Nation. The route was originally marked by Robert Bean and Jesse Chisholm and served to unite ...

Fort Coffee

Established June 16, 1834, by 7th Inf., and named in honor of Gen. John Coffee of Tennessee. Abandoned by U.S. Army in November 1838. In 1842 site selected by Choctaw Council and established as Ft. Coffee Academy for boys During Civil W ...

Ft. Smith - Ft. Towson Military Road

Ft. Smith - Ft. Towson Military Road This road extended through the Choctaw Nation over 130 miles of rugged terrain and raging streams. It was blazed by Col. Robert Bean and constructed by Captain John Stuart and used to carry suppli ...

Jenson Tunnel

Listed on the National Register of Historical Places (added 1976 - Structure - #76001567) The Jenson Tunnel is Oklahoma's only railroad tunnel. It was built by the Frisco railway through the Choctaw nation between 1885 and 1887. The tun ...

John F. Kennedy Memorial

This monument, commemorating the visit of President John F. Kennedy to Big Cedar, was erected under the auspices of the Knights of Columbus, who deeded shaft and land to the Oklahoma Historical Society on October 30, 1966.

LeFlore County Courthouse

Listed on the national register of historic places.

Peter Conser Home

Born in the Choctaw Nation in the 1850s, Peter Conser was a long-time law-enforcement official among the Choctaws, serving as a deputy sheriff, sheriff and leader of the Choctaw Lighthorsemen. He wa also elected a senator in the Choctaw ...

Reverend John Page

A well-known missionary/circuit minister for the Southern Methodist Church, Page sometimes served as an interpreter in the Choctaw Nation. He was a Choctaw representative to the meeting that resulted in the Reconstruction Treaty of 1866 ...

Reverend Willis F. Folsom

Reverend Folsom, a Choctaw, was born in Mississippi and removed with his family to Indian Territory in the 1830s. After being educated, he served as an interpreter for white missionaries among the Choctaws and was ordained a deacon in t ...

Reynolds Castle

On the hill to east was home of Capt J.E. Reynolds, a confederate veteran, a pioneer rancher and merchant. Built of native stone like a castle complete with turrets, and walls two feet thick, Reynolds was a delegate to the Sequoyah conv ...

Skullyville

Skullyville was founded in 1832 while removal of Choctaws to what is now Oklahoma was in progress. First Choctaw Agency in the west was established here with Major F. W. Armstrong as agent. The name Skullyville was derived from Choct ...

Spiro Mounds

Welcome to Spiro Mounds. The Interpretive Center has displays about the Caddoan Indians who created this important ceremonial complex between A.D. 600 and A.D. 1450. There is also an interpretive trail system that loops past all twelve ...

Trahern's Station

Here was located a stage stand of the Butterfield Overland Mail Route, under acto fo congress, March 3, 1857. First mail state arrived here in September, 1958, enroute to San Francisco, Service continued until the outbreate of war betw ...

Trahern's Station

Trahern's Station was a stage stand on the old Butterfield Overland Mail route in Indian Territory. It was located in what is now Le Flore County, Oklahoma. The station was named for Judge James N. Trahern, the stage agent. Trahern was ...

Walker's Station

Here was located a stage stand of the Butterfield Overland Mail Route, created under an Act of Congress on March 3, 1857. The first mail stage arrived here in September 1858, enroute to San Francisco. Service continued until the outbrea ...

LeFlore County

LeFlore County, Oklahoma

County Seat: Poteau, OK 74953

Wikipedia: LeFlore County, Oklahoma

National Register of Historic Places for LeFlore County, Oklahoma

LeFlore County was named in honor of a Choctaw family named LeFlore.