Oklahoma Historic Places Database


Fort Arbuckle

Established in April, 1851, by Capt. R.B. Marcy. From here in 1852 Capts Marcy and Geo. B. McClellan, later Comdr. in Chief of Army of Potomoc, set out to explore source of Red River. Post abandoned to Confederates May 3, 1861. Again ga ...

Garvin County Courthouse

National Register of Historic Places: Garvin County Courthouse (added 1985 - Building - #85002758) Courthouse Sq. and Grant Ave., Pauls Valley Historic Significance: Event Area of Significance: Politics/Government Period of Si ...

Initial Point

Initial point is the name given to a 54 inch stone monument that marks the spot where all land in Oklahoma, except for the panhandle, Kansas, and Nebraska were surveyed to open lands to white settlement. This point made it possible to n ...

Murray - Lindsay Mansion

Murray-Lindsay Mansion Built 1879/81 The first home in Erin Springs was built in 1871 by Frank Murray, an Irish immigrant from Londonderry. Murray eventually became a large land owner and rancher. He had 20,000 acres of land and ...

Santa Fe Depot Museum

1905 depot was saved from demolition in 1989, the Pauls Valley city officials finally secured ownership of the old Santa Fe Depot and turned it over to the Historical Society to renovate and manage.

Wiley Post

Wiley Post Visionary 1898-1935 From his hometown of Maysville, Oklahoma, he explored the skies. In 1933 this self-taught scientist became the first person to fly solo around the world to prove flying safe. The pressurized flight ...

World's First Television Doppler Radar Tornado Warning

March 15, 1982 Gary England of KWTV Issues the World's First Television Doppler Radar Tornado Warning when a Developing Tornado is Visually Confirmed by the Elmore City Police Department

Garvin County

Garvin County, Oklahoma

County Seat: Pauls Valley, OK 73075

Wikipedia: Garvin County, Oklahoma

National Register of Historic Places for Garvin County, Oklahoma

Garvin County was named for Samuel J. Garvin, who moved to the Chickasaw Nation near Whitebead in 1870 and became a prominent cattleman, merchant, and banker.