Oklahoma Historic Places Database


Cherokee-Seneca Boundary

Cherokee-Seneca Boundary The east west line here, sec 26, is the old boundary between Cherokee and Seneca nations, the land north of this line was owned under patent by the Seneca of Sandusky, Ohio, by treaty of 1831. The land ...

Fort Wayne

Established in autumn 1839 by Lt. Col. R.B. Mason and 1st Dragoons, U.S. Army, and named in honor of Gen. "Mad" Anthony Wayne. Abandoned on May 15, 1842. Here in July 1861, Col. Stand Watie established a Confederate army post and organi ...

Saline Courthouse

The Saline District Courthouse is the last remaining of nine courthouses for the districts of the Cherokee Nation in Indian Territory. The current structure was built in 1884. The site sits on 14 acres where three fresh water springs ...

Stand Waite

Stand Watie Degataga Oo-watee Stand Watie was only American Indian to attain rank of Brigadier General during the Civil War and was last Confederate general to surrender. Born in Georgia December 12, 1806, he spoke only the Cherokee ...

Watie & Ridge

Stand Watie and his cousin, John Ridge, signed 1835 treaty for the Cherokee removal from Georgia to Ind. Ter., which caused a tribal feud. Ridge, young and talented, was assassinated, but Watie escaped their enemies. Later he was Southe ...

Delaware County

Delaware County, Oklahoma

County Seat: Jay, OK 74346

Wikipedia: Delaware County, Oklahoma

National Register of Historic Places for Delaware County, Oklahoma

Prior to becoming Delaware County, a large portion of the area was known as the Delaware District of the Cherokee Nation.