Oklahoma Historic Places Database


Alabaster Caverns State Park

A 3/4-mile cavern formed of alabaster, a rare form of gypsum, making it the largest natural gypsum cave in the world open to the public.

Boiling Springs State Park

Recreational facilities include RV and tent campsites, four cabins, two group camps, a swimming pool with concession stand and changing house, restrooms with showers, playgrounds, baseball diamonds, fishing spots, picnic areas and group ...

Camp Supply

Established Nov., 1868 by Gen. Alfred Sully with 5 companies of 3rd Inf. This was the supply base for Col. Custer's 7th Cav. Here, Dec. 2, 1868 Gen Sheridan received Custer returning from the Battle of the Washita. Name changed to Ft. ...

CCC Company 2822

This park was created between 1935 and 1940 by members of Civilian Conservation Corps company no. 2822, one of many such units organized by the federal government during the great depression to provided useful employment for thousands o ...

Crossing Ft. Supply - Ft. Reno Military Road

In 1870 a supply road was established between Ft. Supply and the Cheyenne-Arapaho agency in Darlington, O.T. The road (and telegraph line) was built as an extension of the Ft. Dodge (KS) - Ft. Supply trail and extended to Ft. Reno in 18 ...

Fort Supply Historic Site

Established as Camp Supply in 1868 in the western part of the Cherokee Outlet, this supply base served General Philip Sheridan's winter campaign against hostile Indian tribes of the southern Great Plains. The fort was also responsible f ...

Fort Supply Lake

A popular recreation area with several white sand beach areas, RV and tent camping, fishing, boating, swimming and picnic areas. Other facilities include boat ramps, group shelters, restrooms, showers and playgrounds. Anglers will enjoy ...

Military Road Crossing

Here, between 1874 and 1890, supply wagons, a daily stage coach and the U. S. Mail moved over this earliest known trail from Dodge City, Kansas to Fort Elliott, Texas. The fort first known as Cantonment on Sweetwater" was established af ...

Plains Indians & Pioneers Museum

Take a walk on the wild side in lawyer/gunfighter Temple Houston's hometown museum. Frontier-town vignettes feature Houston's office, a bank, saloon, jail, photo studio, and newspaper office. Native American exhibits feature the Cheyenn ...

Spangler Road Skeleton

The Spangler Road Skeleton is what we are calling this metalwork sculpture of a Skeleton on Motorcycle of Doom.

Woodward Arts Theatre

Productions are staged by On Stage Woodward, and other special events and traveling shows are planned at this year round special events center.

Woodward Centennial Park

Combination memorial celebrating the 1987 centennial of Woodward, Oklahoma, honoring Woodward veterans, and honoring the victims of the great Woodward Tornado.

Woodward Time Capsule

Time Capsule 1887 - Woodward - 1987 After 100 Years open April 2087

Woodward County

Woodward County, Oklahoma

County Seat: Woodward, OK 73801

Wikipedia: Woodward County, Oklahoma

National Register of Historic Places for Woodward County, Oklahoma

Woodward County was originally known as "N" County and was composed of present day Woodward County and portions of Harper, Ellis, and Woods County. Before its division at statehood, Woodward County, then 60 miles square, was the westernmost county of the Cherokee Outlet and adjoined Texas and the Oklahoma Panhandle on the west and Kansas on the north. Political pressure applied by William H. Murray during Oklahoma's Constitutional Convention resulted in the reduction of the size of Woodward County to its present boundaries. It is unknown exactly who the county (and the town) is named after, but the two leading candidates are Brinton W. Woodward, a Santa Fe railway director, or Richard Woodward, a buffalo hunter.