County Seat: Alva, Oklahoma 73717
M County's name was changed to Woods by popular vote on November 6, 1894. "Wood" was selected to honor Sam Wood, a renowned Kansas Populist. However, Wood's name appeared as Woods on the ballot, and the secretary of the election committee misidentified Wood as Woods in his election report. The full committee also failed to notice the error before the report was published, and meeting later they "decided to keep the s for euphony sake."