Tulsa County

County Seat: Tulsa, Oklahoma 74103

Tulsa County was named after the previously-established city of Tulsa.

 

@blogoklahomaus
1957 Plymouth Belvedere Time Capsule
Golden Jubilee, Inc. Time Capsule With 1967 Plymouth Sealed June 15, 1957 To Be Opened in 2007 By the Centennial Committee Tablet by courtesy of Earle Davenport, Tulsa, Okla.(Note! Time Capsule to be unearthed on June 15, 2007)
@blogoklahomaus
Battle of Chusto-Talasah
This battle site is 9 miles N.E. S.E at the "Caving Banks" beind on Bird Creek. Here Dec. 9 1861- Opothleyohola's Union indians forced the retreat of Col. D.H. Cooper's Confederate troops. Marker sponsored by the TUlsa County Historical Society.
@blogoklahomaus
Creek Council Oak
The Muscogee (Creek) people are descendants of a culture that, before 1500 A.D. spanned the region known today as the Southeastern United States. In the early 19th century, the United States Indian policy forced the Muscogee and other Southeastern tribes to move beyond the Mississippi River. ...
@blogoklahomaus
First Gas Processing Plant West of the Mississippi
The beginning of Oklahoma's famous oil boom brought the need for processing facilities located near the source of the raw material. Kiefer, Oklahoma, the closest unloading point on the Frisco Railroad to the newly opened oil fields, was the site selected for the first casing-head gas-treating p ...
@blogoklahomaus
First Hospital Tulsa County.
The site is two blocks north. Tulsa's first chartered Hospital and Training School for Nurses was organized on November 20, 1906. It was headed by Fred S. Clinton, M.D., president; C.L. Reeder, M.D., secretary; C.Z. Wiley, M.D., treasurer; and H.C.C. Ziegler, R.N., superintendent of nurses. It ...
@blogoklahomaus
First Oil Well in Tulsa County
First oil well in Tulsa County, completed on June 25, 1901 .4 mi west by Drs. J.C.W. Bland and Fred S. Clinton. This well brought first nation wide publicity and oil boom to Indian Ter. rapid industrial development made Tulsa "Oil Capital of the World."
@blogoklahomaus
Fort Arbuckle
The site of Fort Arbuckle is less than one mile north. One of the two US military posts on the western frontier of the Creek Nation, this "first" Fort Arbuckle in Indian Territory was built in 1834 by troops of the 7th Infantry with Major George Birch in command. The stockade buildings were gar ...
@blogoklahomaus
Glenn Pool World Greatest Oil
Glenn Pool opened on November 22, 1905. About one-half mile northwest of this point, Robert Galbreath and Frank Chesley brought in the Ida E. Glenn No. 1 Oil Well. This began the great growth of the oil industry in the city of Tulsa and the state of Oklahoma.
@blogoklahomaus
Hillside Mission
Reverend John Murdock established the Hillside Mission school in 1882 under the auspices of the Society of Friends. A nearby cemetery contains the grave of William C. Rogers, the last elected principal chief of the Cherokees prior to statehood.
@blogoklahomaus
Hillside Mission
Established by Rev. John Murdock, under auspices of Friends Society, 1882. This noted school was attended by both Indian and white children. In this vicinity, was home of Wm. C. Rogers, last elected principle chief of Cherokee Nation, 1903 to 1917. His grave, and that of George Tyner, Cherokee, ...
@blogoklahomaus
International Petroleum Exposition
The International Petroleum Exposition was founded at Tulsa, Oklahoma, in 1923 providing a display to the world of the latest in equipment, operational ideas and practices used in the petroleum and related industries. When the first exposition was held it was a street bazaar type of show wit ...
@blogoklahomaus
Pleasant Porter
The home and grave near here are of the noted Creek leader, Pleasant Porter (1840–1907). Lt. Creek Reg. Mtd. Vols., Confederate Army; Porter was superintendent of schools in the Creek Nation, 1871; Captain of the lighthorsemen in the "Green Peach War," 1883; a delegate to Washington; president ...
@blogoklahomaus
Twin Mounds Pioneer Cemetery
Twin Mounds Community and Twin Mounds Cemetery First called Posey, town dated to 1880s and then was renamed for notesd landmark. Citizens moved to Mounds in 1903 when R.R. bypassed town. 1905 discovery of oil nearby on Glenn farm led to boom that lasted into 1920s. Thos. Gilcrease's allotm ...
@blogoklahomaus
Washington Irving Monument
This monument was erected and donated to the public by Mr. and Mrs. Gabriel Norman Wright to commemorate the visit of the great author to this locality on October 14, 1832, in company with a party of U. S. Rangers from Cantonment Gibson. They camped that night about thirteen miles west of this ...
@blogoklahomaus
Washington Irving's Camp
A Tour on the Prairies by the great writer Irving describes his tour on horseback in Oklahoma with the U.S. Rangers from Fort Gibson. Irving camped on the creek near here Oct 12, 1832. Marker sponsored by the Tulsa County historical Society. 1995.
@blogoklahomaus
Weer
WEER Established by John E. Weer in 1885-87. A post office, 1894-1906, three general stores, a school, two doctors, a drug store and nearly 100 residents made up the early village. Weer was postmaster and farmed. He ran a saw mill, cotton gin, grist mill and a store. *On this si ...