Osage County

County Seat: Pawhuska, Oklahoma 74056

Osage County has the same boundaries as the Osage Indian Reservation, it is the home of the federally recognized Osage Nation.

 

@blogoklahomaus
Battle of Chustenahlah
This site 3.5 miles N.W. is where Col Jas. McIntosh, 2nd Ark. Mtd. Rifles, routed loyal Union Indian forces, Dec. 26, 1861. The battle opened with fire fro the Indian line on Patriot's Hill, 2 mi S.W. The loyal Union Indians finally fled to Kansas. Oklahoma Historical Society 167-1995.
@blogoklahomaus
CCC - Osage Mountain
Civilian conservation corps and Osage Hills State Park Pawhuska - Bartlesville Oklahoma This park was created between 1936 and 1939 by members of the civilian conservation corps company 895. The 830 acre park is unique as well as beautiful. All construction of cabins, buildings, and bridges ...
@blogoklahomaus
Chief NE-KAH-WAH-SHE-TUN-KAH
Chief NE-KAH-WAH-SHE-TUN-KAH Born in Osage CO. 1839 Died Aug. 3, 1923 He was Governor of the Osages four times and a member of the Council seven times His sole aim in life was the welfare of his people Note: Chief Ne-KAH-Wah-She-TUN-KAH's burial was the last tradition Osage b ...
@blogoklahomaus
Fred Drummond Home
The Drummond Home in Hominy is a three-story Victorian home built by turn-of-the-century business leader and cattleman/rancher Frederick Drummond and his wife Adeline Gentner. The sandstone home was completed in 1905 and has been restored by the Oklahoma Historical Society. Visitors will find c ...
@blogoklahomaus
James Bigheart
The Osage Chief grave here 1909 when the Osages came to live in Indian Ter. after the Civil War. Bigheart became chief and led in organizing the Osage nation under a written constitution. He had a trading post at Bigheart, now Barnsdall, and led in saving for the Osages by act of Congress in 19 ...
@blogoklahomaus
Million Dollar Elm
The discovery of "black gold" in Oklahoma precipitated one of the greatest rushes in the history of the West. One of the most famous oil discoveries took place on the Osage Reservation in the northeastern portion of Oklahoma. The mineral rights to the lands were sold to the highest bidder at au ...
@blogoklahomaus
Oil in the Osage Indian Nation and the Million Dollar Elm
Symbolic of the impact oil had on the people of the Osage Indian Nation is the so-called "Million Dollar Elm." It was given this name because in its shade millions of dollars worth of Osage oil leases were auctioned. It was planted at this site sometime during the latter part of the 19th centur ...
@blogoklahomaus
Osage Agency
The Osage agency was established in 1872 to oversee the federal government's relationship with the Osage. Congress allowed the Osage to retain ownership of minerals in their reservation lands. When oil was discovered in the area, the allotted Osage became the richest Indian tribe in American hi ...
@blogoklahomaus
Osage Chief Fred Lookout
Fred Lookout was the last hereditary chief of the Osage. After being educated in the East, he returned to the Osage Nation in 1884. He served as the leader of his people longer than anyone. He died in 1949 at the age of ninety-eight. His wife, Julia, was a descendant of Chief Pawhuska.
@blogoklahomaus
Osage County Museum
The vivid history of the Osage Nation and the surrounding region is recorded in this museum. It preserves intact the heritage of the only Indian reservation to be included within the boundaries of Oklahoma.
@blogoklahomaus
Osage Hills
First settled by the Osage Indians in 1796, the area is now part of the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve, a protected remnant of the original North American prairie, a 500-mile wide stretch of land in the central part of the United States that extended from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. The tallgrass ...
@blogoklahomaus
Osage Hills State Park
The Osage Hills State Park, built by Civilian Conservation Corps Company 895 from 1936 to 1939, is centrally located in the lush, rolling hills and a densely wooded canyon between Pawhuska and Bartlesville.
@blogoklahomaus
St. Johns School / Osage Indian Boys
St. John's school for Osage indian boys 1888-1913 8 mi n. Est. October 1888 along Hominy Creek by St. Katharine Drexel and the bureau of catholic indian missions, after repeated requests by Osage tribe for a catholic school. Original log compound replaced by four-story stone building in 1893. O ...
@blogoklahomaus
St. Louis School for Osage Indian Girls
ST. LOUIS SCHOOL FOR OSAGE INDIAN GIRLS 1887 - 1949 One-half Mi SW. Est. 1887 by St. Katharine Drexel and Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions, Washington, D.C. Original frame structure located near Main and Palmer burned in 1889, replaced here 1890 by a four-story stone building. Operated by ...
@blogoklahomaus
The Battle of Wooster Mound
Near this site on August 8, 1903, U.S. Deputy Marshal Wiley G. Haines, Chief of Osage Indian Police Warren Bennett, and Constable Henry Majors ended the career of the notorious outlaw gang known as the Martin brothers. The outlaws were wanted for murder and robbery over a five state area. Durin ...
@blogoklahomaus
W. C. Rogers / Skiatook
Skiatook began as many communities did in rural America around the turn of the century -- it started in 1872 as a general store or trading post owned by W. C. Rogers, who was elected last principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation in 1903. The site was two miles north of the present site of Skiato ...
@blogoklahomaus
White Hair Memorial
The White Hair Memorial Learning Resource Center is located in the 1920s-era home of Lillie Morrell Burkhart, an Osage Indian and descendant of Chief Pawhuska (White Hair). A repository for Osage artifacts and documents, the collections include various resources such as maps, annuity rolls, ora ...
@blogoklahomaus
Wynona
Post office was established in 1903 in Wynona, a Sioux word meaning "first-born daughter."