Murray County

County Seat: Sulphur, Oklahoma 73086

Murray County was named for William H. "Alfalfa Bill" Murray, president of the 1906 Constitutional Convention.

 

@blogoklahomaus
Arbuckle Historical Museum / Davis Santa Fe Depot
The Arbuckle Historical Museum features the history of Davis in pictures and artifacts. You will find displays featuring schools, churches, music, medicine, dentistry, civic organizations, military uniform, the fire department, the police department, railroad memorabilia, farm implements, house ...
@blogoklahomaus
CCC and Platt National Park
Civilian Conservation Corps and Platt National Park Sulphur, Oklahoma 1933 - 1942 This historical monument is a gift honoring the young men of Civilian Conservation Corps Company 808 who contributed a major part to the building of this beautiful park. the defended, protected and preserved ou ...
@blogoklahomaus
Chickasaw National Recreation Area
The "Peaceful Valley of Rippling Waters" appropriately describes Chickasaw National Recreation Area, known for its many mineral springs, cool water, flora, fauna, and wildlife. Here one's mind may wander back in time to when the early American Indian came to this area to rest, relax at the wate ...
@blogoklahomaus
Governor Cyrus Harris
Cyrus Harris, Chickasaw-Scot, was born in 1817 in Mississippi. After removal to Indian Ty., he was elected first governor of the Chickasaw Nation in 1856. This noted Indian leader died at his Mill Creek home, 1888. His grave is 1 1/2 mi. w. of this marker. **
@blogoklahomaus
Murray County Courthouse
Murray County Courthouse added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984
@blogoklahomaus
Oklahoma Where Reflection Seismograph was Born
Oklahoma is the birthplace of the reflection seismic technique of oil exploration. This geophysical method records reflected seismic waves as they travel through the earth helping to find oil bearing formations. It has been responsible for the discovery of many of the world’s largest oil and ga ...
@blogoklahomaus
Sulphur
Springs in this area were first used by wildlife, Indians, and cattlemen. In 1902, Sulphur Spring Reservation was founded renamed Platt Nat'l Park in 1906 and became part of Chickasaw Nat'l Rec. Area in 1976. The town was moved twice to its present site in the 1920's and 30's. Sulphur was famo ...
@blogoklahomaus
Turner Falls Overlook Road Monuments
Marker One: To George A. Ramsey The man of vision , who saw the beauties of this Mountain Highway and initiated it construction. Erected by the Citizens of Ardmore 1930 Marker Two: 1923--1926 This road built with prison Labor Under the Direction of M. E. Trapp -- Governor of Oklaho ...
@blogoklahomaus
Turner Falls Park
Turner Falls Park In the Heart of the Arbuckle Mountains Many springs from the world famous Arbuckle Mountains form Honey Creek which cascades down a seventy-seven (77) foot fall to a natural swimming pool making the majestic Turner Falls the largest waterfall in Oklahoma. The park is accen ...