Latimer County

County Seat: Wilburton, Oklahoma 74578

Latimer County was named for James L. Latimer, a delegate from Wilburton to the 1906 Constitutional Convention.

 

@blogoklahomaus
Bernard de la Harpe 1719
This French Explorer, seeking trade with the Wichita Indians, came north from Louisiana, on August 25, 1719, he camped three miles east of Hartshorne and the next day, following Gains Creek, passed here on his way to the Canadian River and the Wichita Villages to the north.
@blogoklahomaus
CCC-Robbers Cave State Park
Members of the Civilian Conservation Corps constructed Robbers Cave State Park in the 1930s on land donated by State Representative Carlton Weaver, who is buried in the main park circle. Carlton Lake is named for him.
@blogoklahomaus
Edward's Store
Originally the log home of Thomas Edwards, the site became important as a stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail Route, which operated from 1858 to 1861 between Tipton, Missouri and San Francisco, California. It was also the first location of the Red Oak Post Office, which was established on Mar ...
@blogoklahomaus
Holloway's Station
Holloway's Station was a stage stand on the old Butterfield Overland Mail route in Indian Territory. It was located near "The Narrows" at upper Brazil Creek in what is now Latimer County, Oklahoma. The station was named for William Holloway, the stage agent. In 1858, the Choctaw Council granted ...
@blogoklahomaus
Kiamichi Baptist Assembly
Kiamichi Baptist Assembly is a Christian camp owned and operated by the Southern Baptist Churches of the 5 associations of Southeastern Oklahoma. KBA was founded in 1942.**
@blogoklahomaus
Mountain Station
Located on the old Fort Smith to Boggy Depot Road, a stage stand for changing horses and a toll road were established here in 1866 under Choctaw law. Between 1858 and 1861, the road served as a portion of Butterfield Overland Mail Route. **
@blogoklahomaus
Pusley's Station
Pusley's Station was a stage stand on the old Butterfield Overland Mail route in Indian Territory. It was located in what is now Latimer County, Oklahoma, on the south side of Gains Creek. The station was named for Silas Pusley, a trader and member of a prominent Choctaw family. In 1859, the Ch ...
@blogoklahomaus
Riddle's Station
Riddle's Station was a stage stand on the old Butterfield Overland Mail route in Indian Territory. It was located on the west side of the Forche Maline in what is now Latimer County. The station was named for Captain John Riddle, the operator. Riddle was a mixed-blood Choctaw and a prominent me ...