Oklahoma Historic Places Database


Abraham Jefferson Seay - Grave Site

Abraham Jefferson Seay From Private 1861 to Col 31st and 32nd Infantry Missouri volunteer 1865 Co Atty 1871 Circuit Judge 1875 to 1886 Associate Justice of Okla 1890 to 1891 Governor of Okla 1891 to 1893 Love of Country Lov ...

Baker's Ranch

Baker's Ranch   Site one-half mile west, this ranch station, noted watering place on the Old Chisholm Trail, was attacked in the last Indian war and found deserted a few days later, July 5m 1874, by Indian Agent J. D. M ...

Big Four School

Big Four School Located 3 miles north, was formed Mar. 17, 1920, by a special election vote to consolidate the districts of White Cap, Twilight, Wandell, and Bird Creek. The school graduated its first senior class in 1924, its last in ...

Bull Foot Station

Bull Foot Station On the old Chisholm Trail, this station was noted for its water well. The name , from a huge indentation in the ground here resembling inprint of a Bull's Foot. Buildings were still standing on site, 50 yards east ...

Burrus Mills Elevator

National Register Of Historical Places--Oklahoma Burrus Mills Elevator C (added 2000 - Structure - #00000621) Also known as Burrus Mills Elevator NE corner, Jct. of Admire Ave. and 4th St., Kingfisher Historic Significance: Ar ...

Chisholm Trail Museum

The Chisholm Trail Museum displays artifacts from the historic cattle trail.

Cimarron River Crossing the Trail Junction

Cimarron River Crossing the Trail Junction The Abilene Cattle Trail crossed the Cimarron directly before you. About a mile west, the Fort Sill - Arkansas City wagon road. The western variant of the cattle trail through Ft. Reno and ...

Farmers and Merchants National Bank

The Farmers and Merchants National Bank is the oldest bank in Kingfisher county, built shortly after the Land Run of 1889. List on the Register of Historic Places.

Farmers Co-op Elevator

Built between 1931 and 1938 made of concrete and has 4 cylindrical shaped bins. List on the Register of Historic Places

First Rural Mail Route

First Rural Mail Route Oklahoma's established at Hennessey on Aug. 15, 1900, with Albert W. Dorrow as carrier, his salary at $500 a year. J. A. Felt was the Hennessey postmaster. Route ran east over 24 ml., serving population of 70 ...

Governor A.J. Seay Mansion

National Register of Historic Places Built 1890 Restored 1966 By Division of State Park The Seay Mansion is a historical monument built upon dreams by Abraham Jefferson Seay in hopes that Kingfisher would be the new capitol of Ok ...

Historical Society Birthplace

Historical Society Birthplace Oklahoma Historical Society was organized May 27, 1893, by the Oklahoma Press Association, in convention at Kingfisher. The Society headquarters were established in the first courthouse, at Sixth and Admi ...

Kingfisher

Kingfisher This was U.S. Land Office site for filing claims at opening of "Old Oklahoma." April 22, 1889; also, at opening of Cheyenne and Arapaho lands on April 19, 1892. J.C. Robberts was first Register. First post office, Lisbo ...

Kingfisher Armory

Kingfisher Armory (added 1994 - Building - #94000279) Also known as Kingfisher National Guard Armory

Kingfisher College

Kingfisher College Founded by Congregationalists, this college--site one mile north, 1890-1922, achieved renown in education and character-building. It lives on at the University of Oklahoma as the Kingfisher College Chair of the Ph ...

Kingfisher County Courthouse

Kingfisher County first housed the original county officials in the Central Hotel. In 1892, Territorial Governor Abraham Seay and partner William Grimes built a three-story brick structure that they leased to the county. When it was des ...

Kingfisher Post Office

Old Kingfisher Post Office Originally established for Kingfisher and the surrounding area, it has been maintained with care and now houses the home office of Briscoe Oil Company. Kingfisher Post Office ** (added 1978 - Building ...

Kingfisher Stage Station

This stage station on the old Chisholm Trail, 1867-1889, was 4 blocks no., on south side of Kingfisher Creek. The trail had two branches in this area; one for cattle was 6 miles east

Lacey

Lacey Serving as Post Office from 1890 to 1909. The Town was named for John. F. Lacey from Iowa who served as a member of the congressional committee on Indian Affairs and Chairman of the Committee on public lands which opened Oklahom ...

Massacre of Pat Hennssey

Massacre of Pat Hennessey Freighter Hennessey's charred body tied to his wagon wheel was found in a smoldering fire near 3 of his drivers, all killed on July 4, 1874, in last Indian war when his train was on way along Chisholm Trail ...

Pat Hennessey

Pat Hennessey Attacked and Killed by Indians July 2, 1874

Pat Hennessey's Gravesite

This marks the place on Chisholm Trail where during the Cheyenne and Arapaho Indian. Pat Hennessey A government freighter, was massacred, July 4, 1876, by white outlaws, masked as Indians. His grave lies nearby. The town of He ...

Pioneer Telephone Building

This building was constructed in 1900 by the Anheuser Busch Brewing Association of St. Louis, Missouri. In 1922, the building was restored similar to its original appearance by Pioneer Telephone Cooperative, Inc.

Red Fork Ranch

The Red Fork Trail ranch house stood about a half mile to the south of this location now marked by a granite monument on Red Fork Street. The image above was drawn by Adolph Hunnius in 1876 a surveyor (Courtesy of the Kansas State Histo ...

Red Fork Station

Red Fork Station Site 3 blocks south Stockade buildings of Red Fork Ranch on the Chisholm Trail , at the Cimarron or Red Fork river crossing here, included a stage station to change horse and a supply depot for travelers, late 1860' ...

Roy V. Cashion

Roy V. Cashion 1st Okla. Vol. U.S. Cavalry After his regiment helped in the victory at Las Quasiman, Cuba. he was killed as he charged over San Juan Hill. July 1, 1898 in the Spanish-American War. This Oklahoma boy - Hennessey Hig ...

Run of '89-N. Boundary

At the open of "Old Oklahoma," April 22, 1889, this was the north line for the Run starting at 12 o'clock noon. Prairies and hills in the 2,000,000 acre tract south, where peopel by tens of thousands. Homes were planted and tent cities ...

Run of '89-W. Boundary

Run of ' 89 West Boundary On this line--98" W. Longitude-- Many campers sat by their fires the night before the opening of "Old Oklahoma". The next day at noon on April 22, 1889, many people set out running on foot and by horse for 16 ...

Run of '92

Run of '92 East boundary of Indian country --98' W longitude, west of this line lay the land of the Cheyenne and Arapaho. Each member of their two tribes had been alloted, 160 acres before the surplus land was opened to settlers, AT ...

Rural Electrification

This area was first in Oklahoma to receive central station electric power from a rural electric cooperative. Cimarron Electric Cooperative (incorporated Consumers Rural Electric Company on Dec. 23, 1936) energized Oklahoma's first el ...

Sam Walton

Welcome to Kingfisher birthplace of Sam Walton founder Walmart Stores Inc.

Sheridan

Sheridan At the opening of the "Unassigned Lands" to homesteader in 1889, a quarter section in Skeleton Town- ship was reserved for a townsite, Named Sheridan in honor of Lt. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, the town grew until 1902, whe ...

The Dalton Cabin

The Dalton Cabin Formerly stood in the blackjacks southeast of Dover and was the home of Adaline Dalton the last 16 years of her life. The Daltons came to Oklahoma in 1890 and settled on a school quarter northeast of Kingfisher. Adal ...

Kingfisher County

Kingfisher County, Oklahoma

County Seat: Kingfisher, OK 73750

Wikipedia: Kingfisher County, Oklahoma

National Register of Historic Places for Kingfisher County, Oklahoma

Nn August 5, 1890, during the first election for territorial representatives from County Five voters overwhelmingly selected "Kingfisher" as the county's name.