Oklahoma Historic Places Database


Buffalo City Park Pavilion

This native rock "Shelter House" was built by the Oklahoma Highway Department in early 1938. The shelter was used as a bath house afte the poll was built. Buffalo's first swimming poll was constructed by the WPA on August 20, 1938, the ...

Charleston

The east-west section line one mile south of this marker was formerly Locust Street in Charleston, Okla. The first post office was established June 18, 1901. Approximately one and one half mile south and one half mile west of here near ...

Fort Dodge-Camp Supply Trail

The 7th Cavalry first used this military trail in November of 1868, carrying 1,000 men and 400 wagons to set up Camp Supply, Indian Territory. The army later built a telegraph line along the route from Fort Dodge to Camp Supply and othe ...

Harper County Courthouse

The Harper County courthouse is a three-story brick building with neoclassical style details. Built in 1927, the buildings classical accents include ionic pilasters and a classical portico over the first floor entryway. The building hou ...

Western Cattle Trail / Yelton Store

This was the westernmost of the famous cattle trails that crossed present-day Oklahoma. From a ford across the Red River at Doan's Crossing, the route ran northward, passing a series of springs and resting places, to Sherman's Ranch on ...

Harper County

Harper County, Oklahoma

County Seat: Buffalo, OK 73834

Wikipedia: Harper County, Oklahoma

National Register of Historic Places for Harper County, Oklahoma

Named for a local pioneer resident, teacher, and clerk of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention of 1906, Oscar Greene Harper from Missouri.

The parcel of Oklahoma land now called Harper County began with the Cherokee Outlet Opening in 1893; the county itself came from the northwest section of Woodward County in 1907.