Cleveland County

County Seat: Norman, Oklahoma 73069

For a short time, Cleveland County was known as Little River County, until an election in 1890. The voters selected the name Cleveland in honor of President Grover Cleveland over the name Lincoln.

 

@blogoklahomaus
City of Norman / Cleveland County
(Side One) The Beginning of Cleveland County Although the Norman townsite was settled during the Land Run of April 22, 1889, Cleveland County. In fact, if not for the efforts of Norman's early citizens and civic leaders, Norman, Noble, Lexington, and Moore would now be part of Oklahoma ...
@blogoklahomaus
Cleveland County Courthouse
Cleveland County Courthouse Norman was designated as the seat of Cleveland County shortly after the Land Run of 1889. The first permanent courthouse was located in the Original Townsite of Norman at the corner of Gray Street and Ponca Avenue. This structure was destroyed by fire in 1904. ...
@blogoklahomaus
Dave Blue Trading Post
Dave Blue Trading Post Located 1 mil. S of here on the Chisholm Cattle Trail, also called Arbuckle Cattle Trail, Blue hired Cherokees and Creeks to kill wild buffalo in early 1870's and to deliver the hides to Atoke for shipment east.
@blogoklahomaus
James Garner Statue
On April 21, 2006, a 10-foot-tall bronze statue of James Garner as Bret Maverick was unveiled in Garner's hometown of Norman, Oklahoma, with Garner present at the ceremony.
@blogoklahomaus
March of the Dragoons
In 1843, General Zachary Taylor sent Capt. Nathan Boon, youngest son of nearly 100 men and officers to reconnoiter the Plains Indian tribes. On their return march they camped July 20 on creek east of this site.
@blogoklahomaus
Run of '89-S. Boundary
Canadian River was south line of "Old Oklahoma" opened by Run at 12 o'clock noon, April 22, 1889. Riders started at river crossing near here. Many thousands entered the 2,000,000 a tract north; homes were planted and tent cities sprang up before nightfall.
@blogoklahomaus
The City of Norman and the Cleveland County Historical Museum
Constructed in 1895, six years after the 1889 Run, this house, known as the Harry Lindsey Home, has been restored as a classic example of pre-statehood architecture. Sponsored by the Cleveland County Historical Society.
@blogoklahomaus
University of Oklahoma Birthplace
At this site known as Rock Building, first classes of University of Oklahoma held September 15, 1892. Faculty consisted of David Ross Boyd, President; William N Rice, Languages; Edwin C De Barr, Sciences; French S. E. Amos English and History. Oklahoma Historical Society 1969