Cherokee County

County Seat: Tahlequah, Oklahoma 74464

Cherokee County was created from the Cherokee Nation's Tahlequah District at the 1906 Constitutional Convention and named for the Cherokee Nation.

 

@blogoklahomaus
Elias Boudinot
Kulakenna "Buck" Watie, brother of Stand Watie, took the name of his benefactor, Elias Boudinot of New Jersey. After completing his education, Boudinot signed the Treaty of New Echota (Georgia) in 1835 that provided for the removal of the Cherokees to Indian Territory. He was clerk of the Chero ...
@blogoklahomaus
Manard
Site of Manard settlement on bayou menard. Named for Pierre Menard (1766-1844). Menard, an early day fur trader, merchant and member of the Chouteau family, served as the first territorial governor of Illinois. Springs at manard identified as a Cherokee council ground prior to 1828. Trading ...
@blogoklahomaus
Park Hill Press
Established July 1837, Rev. S.A. Worcester, Sput. Over 25 million pages were printed in Indian languages and in English by 1861. Printers and translators where John F. Wheeler, John W. Candy, Edwin Archer, Stephen Foreman. Near site are graves of Re. and Mrs. (Ann Orr) Worcester, and the noted ...
@blogoklahomaus
Riley's Chapel
In 1843, Reverend Thomas Bertholf built Riley's Chapel on a hill south of the Cherokee capital. The first annual Indian Mission Conference of the Methodist Church was held at the chapel on October 23, 1844. The building was razed in 1868. **
@blogoklahomaus
Tahlequah
Tahlequah was the capital of the Cherokee Nation until statehood and the closing of the Cherokee government. Oklahoma's first newspaper, the Cherokee Advocate, was printed here. The last Cherokee capitol, constructed on the city square in 1872, became the Cherokee County courthouse at statehood. **
@blogoklahomaus
The Cherokee Advocate
As a tribute to Oklahoma's first legal newspaper, The Cherokee Advocate, was established in 1844 in a building approximately 100' from the location (of this maker.) The marker was dedicated September 6, 1957 by the Oklahoma Press Association and the Oklahoma Professional Chapter of S ...
@blogoklahomaus
The Grave of Mister Ed
Mister Ed. This monument was dedicated to the loving memory of Mr. Ed on Sunday, August 26, 1990. It is the result of a people of northeastern Oklahoma and Tulsa radio station Z104.5 FM. According to national media reports, Mr. Ed moved to Oklahoma in the late 1960s after a successful Ho ...