Caddo County

County Seat: Anadarko, Oklahoma 73005

Caddo County is named after the Caddo tribe who were settled here on the 1870s.

 

@blogoklahomaus
Amphlett Brothers Drug and Jewelry Store
Amphlett Brothers Drug and Jewelry Store (added 1982 - Building - #82003669) Also known as Apache Municipal Building Evans and Coblake Aves., Apache Historic Significance: Event Area of Significance: Commerce Period of Significance: 1900-1924 Owner: Local Gov't Historic Function: Comme ...
@blogoklahomaus
Apache State Bank
Apache State Bank (added 1972 - Building - #72001060) Also known as American National Bank;The Inman Building Evans and Coblake, Apache Historic Significance: Event Area of Significance: Commerce Period of Significance: 1900-1924 Owner: Private Historic Function: Commerce/Trade Histor ...
@blogoklahomaus
Apache Veterans Memorial Park
This monument is dedicated as a humble tribute for the service and sacrifices made by the men and women of Apache who served in the armed forces of the United states during peace and in war. We the citizens of Apache salute and thank our soldier, marines, sailors, airmen and coast guardsmen for ...
@blogoklahomaus
Black Beaver
Black Beaver The famous Delaware Indian Scout 1806-1880 Lived 1/2 mile NW of Anadarko, His gravesite was located near his home site before being moved to Ft. Sill, Comanche County, Ok
@blogoklahomaus
Britton School/Science Hill
Britton School/Science Hill Established in 1911 and known as Science Hill. The school house was located one half mile east of this memorial. Later the name was chaged to Britton School in honor of the pioneer family, the church located at the same site served as a Grade School ...
@blogoklahomaus
Camp Comanche
Camp Comanche was set up near a large Comanche village by the First Dragoons under Colonel Henry Dodge on July 16, 1834, while enroute from Ft. Gibson to Plains tribes. 75 Dragoons and George Catlin, noted artist, were too ill to travel farther with the expedition. The camp was evacuated July 2 ...
@blogoklahomaus
Fort Cobb - Marker
Fort Cobb Site near here , East Established by Oct 1, 1859 by 1st Cavalry. U.S.A. under Major Wm. H. Emory. Post evacuated by Federal troops. May 1861, and occupied by Confederate garrison 1862. Hq. for Gen. W.B. Hazen, special Indian Agent, 1868. Gen. Phil H. Sheridan based here Winter ...
@blogoklahomaus
Fort Cobb - Monument
Fort Cobb Established Oct.1, 1859 by U.S. Troops under Major W.H. Emory as protection against raids of Plains Indians on Choctaws, Chickasaws, and on white emigrants moving west. Evacuated May 5, 1861 by Union Troops and soon occupied by Confedrate forces under Colonel W.C. Young. Although ...
@blogoklahomaus
Hinton Historical Museum & Parker House
The History of the Hinton area is showcased at the Hinton Historical Museum & Parker House. The museum contains many artifacts of life in the early 1900’s. The museum is also home to the Oklahoma’s largest buggy & carriage collection (horse drawn & horseless), and old bicycles from high-whee ...
@blogoklahomaus
Lucille's Gas Station
Provine/Hamons' Station This Rural Rt. 66 Filling station with an over the drive design, was built by Carl Ditmore in 1929. W.O. Waldrop bought the business/home in 1934 and renamed the place, The Provine Station. A small tourist court was added for overnight stays. In 1941 Lucille and Car ...
@blogoklahomaus
Provine/Hamons' Station
U.S. 66 Chicago to Los Angeles Illinois Texas Missouri New Mexico Kansas Arizona Oklahoma California Will Rogers Highway Provine/Hamons' Station This Rural Rt. 66 Filling station with an over the drive design, wa ...
@blogoklahomaus
Red Rock Canyon State Park
Red Rock Canyon was once a stop on the famous California Road Trail. Now visitors can enjoy this beautiful western Oklahoma oasis without bringing the Conestoga wagon. Red Rock Canyon State Park is a great place to hike, climb, or explore. Bring the family or bring the whole wagon train!
@blogoklahomaus
Riverside School
Riverside School Begun by U.S. Quaker Agents 1871 This school opened at the Indian agency on Sugar Creek with 8 pupils. A new building was erected as a boarding school in 1872 for Wichita and Caddo children. Fire in 1878 destoryed the school. It soon reopened in a new building here o ...
@blogoklahomaus
Rock Mary
Most prominent Oklahoma landmark seen on California Road by Capt. R. B. Marcy. First visited May 23, 1849, and U.S. flag raised on the peak by Lts. M. P. Harrison (brother of Pres. Benj. Harrison) and J.H. Simpson. Named in honor of 17 yr. Mary Conway, grand daughter of Arkansas Gov. Conway an ...
@blogoklahomaus
Rock Spring Baptist Church
Rock Spring Baptist Church 1/4 Mile East First Baptist Church Among Oklahoma Plains Indians Organized 1874 by Rev. John McIntosh, Creek Indian. First known Baptist Missionary to these tribes. First trip summer 1874 under auspices of Creek Baptist Assn. Sermon text ...
@blogoklahomaus
Steen's Buttes
Steen's Buttes About 5 miles Southwest. Natural mounds see by early exploring parties here were named for Major Enoch Steen, of First Dragoon Regt., Nov.,1858 survey by Edward F. Beale, easter most of these mounds was called "Rock Mary"
@blogoklahomaus
The American Flag - Rock Mary
The American Flag Rock Mary From this point on May 23, 1849 the Flag of the United States was unfurled by Lts.J. H. Simpson and M.P. Harrison who gave this Rock it name. By this act they established this as a famous landmark relied on by countless thousands of western emigrants. Oklahoma His ...
@blogoklahomaus
Washita School
(First Marker on North side) Site of Washita School (Red Brick) Grades Primary-Twelfth 1923-1955 Gymnsium (Gray Stone) WPA 1939-1996 "Washita Eagles" Sponsored by Washita School Teachers and Students Historical Information Deposited with Oklahoma Historical Soci ...
@blogoklahomaus
Washita, Oklahoma
Washita, Oklahoma *Took it's name from the Washita River" *"Washita" is from two Choctaw words. "Owa" and "Chita" meaning "Big Hunt" *The Wachita Indian Agency was nearby prior to the Civil War *Site of a Civil War engagement Oct 23, 1862 *On Hwy 9 and Rock Island Railroad *Po ...
@blogoklahomaus
Wichita Agency
Wachita Agency First U.S. Indian agency in Western Oklahoma, opened on 1859 for the Wachita and other exiled tribes. Treaties for Confederate States made this agency, 1861. Agency burned in attack by Northern Indians, 1862 Re-established at Anadarko after the Civil War.