Lake Creek Marker

Lake Creek Marker
This monument is dedicated to the pioneers who settled the community. Their strength and courage enabled them to survive adverse conditions, giving us a goodly heritage. Most of the land in for the Lake Creek community was settled by homesteaders, starting in 1898.

In 1918, existing schools of Fairview, Oak Grove, Pleasant Valley and the headquarters combined to from Union Graded School one year later, Union Graded School was changed to Lake Creek Consolidated No. 8. Construction of the stone and brick two-story school building began in the fall of 1919, with completion in March of 1920. This marker stands on the corner of the old school yard.

During the 1940's the area surrounding the Lake Creek intersection contained a general store & gas station, garage, blacksmith shop, cotton gin, Baptist church and Parsonage, Church of Christ and several homes, in addition to the school.

The Lake Creek school disbanded in 1957, with students joining Granite school.

The Baptist Church, Parsonage and one home are all the remain here in 1999, but the surrounding good farm land is dotted with homes of people who are pleased to live in the Lake Creek community.


From Mangum, go north on Highway 34 for 11 miles, then east for 5 miles. From Granite: Go north on highway 6, 5 miles, then west 2 miles.