Markers for the St. Francis Church, David Lee Walters, History of Canute, the Canute Centennial, and The Great Western Trail.(Full text and close-up pictures of the markers are located in "more information")
Beckham county #church #governor #grotto #town #trail
The town was est. in 1900 and town charter was granted in 1901. It was named for the Cordell post master who was instrumental in the founding of the town and post office. About the same time the Rock Island Railroad came through the Turkey Creek valley and the town became the largest trade area between Oklahoma City and Amarillo, Texas. Baptist Church Organized in 1900 and built in 1902 by subscription and donated labor at a cost of $2000. It was recalled that a saloon operation wanted to donate money to help build the ...
Washita county #town
Old Hardesty 1886 - 1906 Old Hardesty was a typical trade center and the mecca of early cowboys in "No Man's Land", the town located about 3 miles northeast of this marker was named for Col. Jack Hardesty, a prominent rancher in the area. Old Hardesty flourished when trail herds crossed, the area but died when the Rock Island Rail Road bypassed it. The cemetery is located on Prairie Dog Point Road. Beaver River Genealogical and Historical Society Oklahoma Historical Society
Texas county #cattle trail #town
Site of Manard settlement on bayou menard. Named for Pierre Menard (1766-1844). Menard, an early day fur trader, merchant and member of the Chouteau family, served as the first territorial governor of Illinois. Springs at manard identified as a Cherokee council ground prior to 1828. Trading post est. By Bartholet & Heald to 1828. Cherokee agency est. By Montfort Stokes in 1837. Burial place of ht martin (1822-1868). First postmaster of cherokee nation west. Site of Civil War skirmish july 27, 1862, involving us Maj. WM A Phillips ...
Cherokee county #town
- Martha Centennial Memorial
1896-1996 History of the Martha Community *
Jackson county #community #town
Dedicated to the pioneers who settled this community whose perseverance and courage enabled them to survive the hard times of drought and dust bowl days give us a heritage in which we take great pride. History states that most of the land around Retrop was settled in 1896-97. A man named Porter from Iowa, made application for a post office to be named Porter, but because there was an office in Indian territory by that name. The post office department spelled the name backward and "Retrop" was the new post office. Retrop ...
Washita county #town
Formerly Hatobi (Man-Killer in Choctaw), renamed in 1890 for pioneer Joshua Smith. Center of Choctaw settlement and activity in early period. Olsom training school here 1921-33. Named for Choctaw minister Willis Folsom, W.B. Hubbell superintendent. Sealey Methodist Chapel built on Folsom campus 1925, named for generous donor and former student Sealey Alexander, Salt Link in vicinity inspired name of Big Lick Presbyterian church hear since 1830's
McCurtain county #choctaw #church #school #town
- Twin Mounds Pioneer Cemetery
Twin Mounds Community and Twin Mounds Cemetery First called Posey, town dated to 1880s and then was renamed for notesd landmark. Citizens moved to Mounds in 1903 when R.R. bypassed town. 1905 discovery of oil nearby on Glenn farm led to boom that lasted into 1920s. Thos. Gilcrease's allotment was nearby. Area's first cemetery remains.
Tulsa county #cemetery #landmark #town
- Washita School
(First Marker on North side) Site of Washita School (Red Brick) Grades Primary-Twelfth 1923-1955 Gymnsium (Gray Stone) WPA 1939-1996 "Washita Eagles" Sponsored by Washita School Teachers and Students Historical Information Deposited with Oklahoma Historical Society 1997 W H S (Second Marker on South side) Washita, Oklahoma *Took it's name from the Washita River" *"Washita" is from two Choctaw words. "Owa" and "Chita" meaning "Big Hunt" *The Wachita Indian Agency was nearby prior ...
Caddo county #indian agency #memorial #school #town
This is the only county seat on the 98th Meridian in Oklahoma. Townsite, on west side of line, was in Kiowa-Comanche Reservation opened to settlement on Aug. 6, 1901. Moneka was the post office, established 1895, on east side of line, in Pickens Co., Chickasaw Nation. Waurika post office opened June 28, 1902.
Jefferson county #town
WEER Established by John E. Weer in 1885-87. A post office, 1894-1906, three general stores, a school, two doctors, a drug store and nearly 100 residents made up the early village. Weer was postmaster and farmed. He ran a saw mill, cotton gin, grist mill and a store. *On this site was W.J. "Doc" Darnell's drug store and doctor's office 1902 - 1927 (BA 100 yr. history, Pg. 56) Broken Arrow Centennial 2002
Tulsa county #ghost town #town
Historic Places Tag Cloud : town