- Battle of Backbone Mountain
On Sept. 1, 1863, Confederates under Brig. Gen. W. L. Cabell ambushed a Union force commanded by Maj. Gen J. G. Blunt, but were driven off after a three hour battle. Later, on July 27, 1864, The Choctaw Battalion led by Capt. Jack McCurtain defeated a Federal cavalry force here. Oklahoma Historical Society 190-1995
LeFlore county #battle #choctaw #civil war
- Battle of Chusto-Talasah
This battle site is 9 miles N.E. S.E at the "Caving Banks" beind on Bird Creek. Here Dec. 9 1861- Opothleyohola's Union indians forced the retreat of Col. D.H. Cooper's Confederate troops. Marker sponsored by the TUlsa County Historical Society.
Tulsa county #civil war
- Battle of Honey Springs
Site 2 mi. east where on July 17, 1863, Gen. J. G. Blunt with Union force of 3,000 men attacked a Confederate force under Gen. D. H. Cooper, encamped on Elk Creek Superior arms and equipment forced the Confederats to withdraw suffering heavy losses. Oklahoma Historical Society and State Highway Commission 1950
Muskogee county #civil war
- Battle of Locust Grove
Federal troops suddenly attacked a Confederate camp along the ridge near here are dawn, July 2, 1862. The surprised Confederates hardly returned fired before their officers and heavy supplies where captured. Yet, hot fighting in the woods lasted nearly all day.
Mayes county #civil war #military
- Battle of Round Mountain
This first battle of the Civil War in Ind. Ter., begain 6 mi. south, Nov 19, 1861, when Col. D.H. Cooper's Confederate vanguard was repulsed by Little Captain's Warrior's from Opothleyahola's indian allies moving to north of Ark. river to avoid war.
Creek county #civil war
- Battle of Round Mountains
Here between the landmark known as Round Mountains to the south and a camp on Salt Cree three miles to the northwest was fought the first battle of the Civil War in Oklahoma. When the civilized tribes of the Indian Territory joined the Confederacy. A numerous group of fullblood Creeks under Oputhleyohola remained loyal to the Union. With wagons containing their families and household goods and driving their herds of cattle and horses they circled to the west and north of their settlements hoping to effect a junction with a similar ...
Payne county #battlefield #civil war
- Battle of the J.R. Williams
Site of the civil war naval battle. Confederate Indian forces, led by Cherokee Brig. Gen. Stand Watie, forced aground and captured Union Steamboat J. R. Williams with cargo valued at $120,000 on June 15, 1864. Southern troops included Choctaws, Chickasaws, Creeks, and Seminoles.
Haskell county #civil war
- Boggy Depot
Site of town noted for distinguished citizens in state history. 1st house build 1837 by Cyrus Harris. Later Chickasaw Governor. Later Choctaw capital and overland mail stage stand to San Francisco (1858-61). Home of principal Chief Allen Write. Choctaw, who named Oklahoma in 1866. Rev. Chyrus Kingbury, noted missionary buried here. Oklahoma Historical Society 178-1995.
Atoka county #chickasaw #choctaw #civil war
- Civil War 10 Pounder
Civil War 10 Pounder Three Inch Civil War Cannon used by N. J. Volunteer Artillery. Donated to Union Veterans Home, Oklahoma City By Maj. Gordon W. Lillie
Oklahoma county #artifact #civil war
Growing around Josiah Doak's store, established in the late 1830s, the town became the commercial center of the region. On November 11, 1847, the name of the nearby post office at Fort Towson was changed to Doaksville. None of the original structures are standing today. It was near here that Brigadier General Stand Watie became the last Confederate general to surrender in the Civil War.*
Choctaw county #choctaw #civil war #confederate #ghost town #military
- Fort Arbuckle
Established in April, 1851, by Capt. R.B. Marcy. From here in 1852 Capts Marcy and Geo. B. McClellan, later Comdr. in Chief of Army of Potomoc, set out to explore source of Red River. Post abandoned to Confederates May 3, 1861. Again garrisoned by U.S. troops after Civil War; abandoned 1870. Initial Point for land surveys is 1 mi. south at intersection of Indian Meridian and Base Line.*
Garvin county #civil war #fort #military
- Fort Coffee
Established June 16, 1834, by 7th Inf., and named in honor of Gen. John Coffee of Tennessee. Abandoned by U.S. Army in November 1838. In 1842 site selected by Chactaw Council and established as Ft. Coffee Academy for boys During Civil War buildings used as barracks by Confederate forces. In Oct. 1863 captured by Federal troops and principal buildings burned.
LeFlore county #choctaw #civil war #fort #military
- Fort McCulloch
Fort McCulloch Earthworks 1.5 mi. S.E. Constructed early in 1862 by Gen. Albert Pike, C.S.A as major Confederate stronghold in southern Indian Territory. Named for Gen. Ben McCulloch, who fell at Pea Ridge. Fort had 18 pieces of artillery; 3,000 soldiers garrisoned there. Pike shortly relieved of command and post abandoned. He then devoted years to Masonry.
Bryan county #civil war #fort #military
- Fort Towson
Established May, 1824, under command of Col. Matthew Arbuckle to guard this region on Spanish border. Headquarters of Gen. S.B. Maxey, U.S. Army; abandoned at close of Civil War. In the vicinity, Doaksville was important trading center and one time capitol of Choctaw Nation, George Hudson, Principal Chief, 1860. Noted Choctaws included David Folsom and Robert M. Jones.*
Choctaw county #choctaw #civil war #fort #military #spanish #trading post
- Fort Washita
Site selected and named 1842 by Gen. Zachary Taylor, later Pres. of U.S. Fort established 1842 by 2nd Dragoons, occupied by several rifle, infantry, cavalry, artillery companies. Built to protect the Chickasaw and Choctaw Indians from Plains Indians and wagon trains moving west. With the Mexican War and after gold was discovered in California, Fort Washita became center of activity. Occupied during Civil War by Confederate forces. Not occupied any time thereafter by U.S. troops.
Bryan county #civil war #fort #military
- Fort Wayne
Established in autumn 1839 by Lt. Col. R.B. Mason and 1st Dragoons, U.S. Army, and named in honor of Gen. "Mad" Anthony Wayne. Abandoned on May 15, 1842. Here in July 1861, Col. Stand Watie established a Confederate army post and organized the Cherokee Mounted Rifles. Captured by Federal troops, Oct. 22. 1862 in engagement known as Battle of Fort Wayne.
Delaware county #battle #cherokee #civil war
- General Douglas Hancock Cooper
"Kind and sympathetic by nature, generous to a fault, he was an honest man of noble impulses, and born and bred a gentleman." These were the words of a contemporary of Brigadier General Douglas Cooper, C.S.A. Cooper was appointed U.S. Agent to Choctaws, 1853, and to the Chickasaws, 1856. Under his supervision the two agencies were consolidated and office was located at Fort Washita. With outbreak of war between the states, Cooper was designated by his friend Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy, to be Choctaw - Chickasaw ...
Bryan county #biography #civil war #military
- Major General Henry Ware Lawton
Major General Henry Ware Lawton (1843-1899) Henry ware Lawton enlisted in the Union forces at the outbreak of the Civil War at the age of seventeen. He received the Congressional Medal of Honor for heroism at the Battle of Atlanta. He was Discharged November 25, 1865 with the brevet rank of colonel. Lawton rejoined the army in 1867, after attending Harvard Law School, and served throughout the Indian Wars. In the spring of 1886, Lawton was chosen to lead a select group of troops into Mexico in pursuit of the Apache chief, Geronimo. ...
Comanche county #civil war #hero #spanish-american war #statue
- Old Military Road
Crossed here: Ft. Gibson (est. 1824) to Ft. Leavenworth. Two Cabin Creek battles in Civil War fought at old ford 5 mi.; S.W. Ketchum is east 1.5 mi., the first store, 1860, and a stage stand were at old Sulphur Springs camp ground near here, N.E. Oklahoma Historical Society and State Highway Commission, 1954.*
Craig county #civil war #military #trail
Originally the trading post of James Perry. By 1849 this was one of the most important early day towns. Here was the intersection of the Texas and California Roads, and many noted expeditions passed through along both of these routes... Colbert Institute, Methodist School for Chickasaws, Established here 1854. Battle of Perryville in Civil War fought here in July 1863.
Pittsburg county #civil war #trail
- Stand Waite
Stand Watie Degataga Oo-watee Stand Watie was only American Indian to attain rank of Brigadier General during the Civil War and was last Confederate general to surrender. Born in Georgia December 12, 1806, he spoke only the Cherokee language until he was twelve years of age. When Federal Government began urging Cherokees to move to Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina, to a home west of the Mississippi, Stand was one of those who believed it best for Cherokees to make such a move as signer of the Treaty of New Echota in 1836, ...
Delaware county #cherokee #civil war
- Stand Waite Surrender
Confederate Brigadier General Stand Watie commanded all Southern troops in the Department of Indian Territory at the close of the Civil War. Although most of the troops had already been sent home, Watie formally surrendered here on June 23, 1865-the last Confederate general to lay down his arms.*
Choctaw county #cherokee #civil war #military
- Washita, Oklahoma
Washita, Oklahoma *Took it's name from the Washita River" *"Washita" is from two Choctaw words. "Owa" and "Chita" meaning "Big Hunt" *The Wachita Indian Agency was nearby prior to the Civil War *Site of a Civil War engagement Oct 23, 1862 *On Hwy 9 and Rock Island Railroad *Post Office Established April 16, 1910
Caddo county #civil war #community #indian agency
- Watie & Ridge
Stand Watie and his cousin, John Ridge, signed 1835 treaty for the Cherokee removal from Georgia to Ind. Ter., which caused a tribal feud. Ridge, young and talented, was assassinated, but Watie escaped their enemies. Later he was Southern Cherokee leader and only Indian commissioned Brig. Gen. in the Confederate States Army
Delaware county #cherokee #civil war
- Wichita Agency
Wachita Agency First U.S. Indian agency in Western Oklahoma, opened on 1859 for the Wachita and other exiled tribes. Treaties for Confederate States made this agency, 1861. Agency burned in attack by Northern Indians, 1862 Re-established at Anadarko after the Civil War.
Caddo county #civil war #indian agency
Historic Places Tag Cloud : civil war