- Baptist Mission
Rev. Jesse Busyhead settled here in 1839 following the Cherokee removal from the east and held church services at his home until the Baptist Mission was established in 1841 by Rev. Evan Jones. This site was one of the ration stations known as GA-DU-HO-GA-DU, or Breadtown, by the Cherokee following the removal. A Cherokee National School was founded near here in 1843 and the mission established a female seminary the same year. The Cherokee Messenger printed here beginning in August 1844 and was the first periodical in Oklahoma. The ...
Adair county #baptist #cherokee #church
Markers for the St. Francis Church, David Lee Walters, History of Canute, the Canute Centennial, and The Great Western Trail.(Full text and close-up pictures of the markers are located in "more information")
Beckham county #church #governor #grotto #town #trail
- Ebenezer Mennonite Church and Cemetery
Ebenezer Mennonite Church 1907 - 1972 Hitherto Hath the Lord helped us I. Samuel 7:12
Kiowa county #cemetery #church #mennonite
- First Presbyterian Church
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Added 2002 - #02000175
Jefferson county #architecture #church
- Hillside Mission
Established by Rev. John Murdock, under auspices of Friends Society, 1882. This noted school was attended by both Indian and white children. In this vicinity, was home of Wm. C. Rogers, last elected principle chief of Cherokee Nation, 1903 to 1917. His grave, and that of George Tyner, Cherokee, are in Mission Cemetery.
Osage county #church #mission #school
- In Memory Of Pioneer Mennonite Settlers
Mennonites settled in this area soon after Oklahoma Territory opened by run April 22, 1889. Their first mission activity was among Indians. This colony was southern most for Mennonites along Chisholm Trail. Farmers of Swiss from Berne, Ind., German and German Russian decent were urged to settle here in order to establish the Christian faith on the frontier. Testimony of faith services continued in this church building until 1953. It now stands as a continuous reminder of the rugged faith of pioneers to this area. The keystone ...
Canadian county #church #pioneer
- Jabbok Orphanage & School Marker
Jabbok Faith Missionary Training Home & Orphanage. A monument 1/2 mi. S. marks site of orphanage est'd 1901 by Abe Eisenhower, uncle of Dwight Eisenhower. Sponsored by local Brethren in Christ Church, it later became Jabbok Bible School. The surrounding cropland is still farmed for missionary purposes.
Custer county #church #orphanage #school
- Jabbok Orphanage & School Memorial
Jabbok Faith Missionary Training Home, Orphanage and Jabbok Bible Academy In 1899 Mr. and Mrs Abe Eisenhower claimed a homestead on this site. In 1901, the Eisenhowers received a patent from the Territory of Oklahoma for the purposes of: "The preaching of the gospel in every land to maintain a missionary home and bible school for the training of missionary workers for home and foreign mission work; to maintain an orphan's home. A holiness school; and for the publication of Christian religious literature." An orphanage was ...
Custer county #church #orphanage #school
- Pecan Point
Early Methodist Circuit. This was an area on both sides of Red River where, in 1818, Rev. Wm. Stevenson, Methodist preacher, held the first Protestant church services in what is now Oklahoma. The region north of Red River was Choctaw country from 1820 to 1907. About 2 mi. northwest of here Harris Ferry was well known for many years.
McCurtain county #choctaw #church #protestant
- Presbyterian Church in Beaver
Added to National Register of Historic Places in 1974. There is a faded marker onsite. Will add text here when we can transcribe it.
Beaver county #church #nrhp
- Rainy Mountain Kiowa Indian Baptist Church
Rainy Mtn. Kiowa Indian Baptist Church Est. 1893 First Missionaries Marieeta K. Reeside (AM ~ DE ~ GO) Lauretta Ballew Women's Baptist Home Mission Society Chicago Julia Given Hunt ~ First Interpreter Charter Members Mrs. BIGTREE (OMEBO) ~ First Convert GOTEBO her brother ~ second convert KA ~ LO ~ MAH PEAH ~ MAH PEAT ~ TAW KON ~ TAH ~ MAH TAH ~ KOI ~ MAH
Kiowa county #church #indian #pioneer
- Redbud Chapel
At the turn of the last century, families from Marlow had to travel many miles to celebrate mass every six weeks. Because of the muddy trails, even horses and buggies had problems negotiating the roads, making the trip approximately three hours in length. The first priest to celebrate Mass occasionally in Marlow was Father Ellias Fink, O.S.B., stationed in Chickasha in 1900. Father Urban de Hasque, a native of Belgium, who became pastor of Chickasha in 1901 commenced celebrating Mass once a month on a wee day in Marlow and then ...
Stephens county #architecture #church
- Rock Spring Baptist Church
Rock Spring Baptist Church 1/4 Mile East First Baptist Church Among Oklahoma Plains Indians Organized 1874 by Rev. John McIntosh, Creek Indian. First known Baptist Missionary to these tribes. First trip summer 1874 under auspices of Creek Baptist Assn. Sermon text John 3:16, Black Beaver Interpreter. "This is the word from the Great Spirit Above to all His children." ~~McIntosh. Oklahoma Baptist Historical Commission White Sign: Rock Spring Indian Baptist Church Wichita Tribal Cemetery
Caddo county #church #indian
- Sharon Missionary Baptist Church
Sharon Missionary Baptist Church Land Donated By Prairie Pioneers B.E. and Virginia Grant Bryant January 7, 1910 Original Church 1909-1950 Present ChurchBuilt 1951 Great Seal of The State of Oklahoma 1907
Washita county #architecture #church #pioneer
Formerly Hatobi (Man-Killer in Choctaw), renamed in 1890 for pioneer Joshua Smith. Center of Choctaw settlement and activity in early period. Olsom training school here 1921-33. Named for Choctaw minister Willis Folsom, W.B. Hubbell superintendent. Sealey Methodist Chapel built on Folsom campus 1925, named for generous donor and former student Sealey Alexander, Salt Link in vicinity inspired name of Big Lick Presbyterian church hear since 1830's
McCurtain county #choctaw #church #school #town
- St. Johns School / Osage Indian Boys
St. John's school for Osage indian boys 1888-1913 8 mi n. Est. October 1888 along Hominy Creek by St. Katharine Drexel and the bureau of catholic indian missions, after repeated requests by Osage tribe for a catholic school. Original log compound replaced by four-story stone building in 1893. Operated by franciscan sisters (1888-1907) and christian brothers (1907-1913). Sponsored by the Osage Tribal Council, Oklahoma Historical Society 240-2000
Osage county #catholic #church #indian #osage #school
- Stella Friends Academy
Buildings near here from 1897 under auspices of Friends Church, the academy was noted for high moral, spiritual and scholastic standards. Closed 1922. Named for teacher of 1st school (1893) in this vicinity, a sod house near Stella Church in Cherokee Strip.
Alfalfa county #church
- Union Mission
Union Mission was the site of the first school to be established in what would become the state of Oklahoma. It was also the location of the first printing press in the state that arrived in 1836. Missionaries provided education to the Osage people (and smaller numbers from other tribes) beginning around 1820 and continuing to 1833. At one time, the mission included about a dozen log cabins, a large barn, a mill, a spring house, a storehouse, the school, a dining hall and kitchen, and various other small buildings. Today, only a few ...
Mayes county #church #nrhp #osage #print #school
- Wheelock Mission
Established 1832 by Rev. Alfred Wright and wife Harriet, who served as missionaries to Choctaws over 30 years. Rev. Wright, physician and linguist, helped develop written Choctaw language, translated gospels and much educational materials into Choctaw, Stone church here completed 1846, oldest such building in Oklahoma. School begun by writes became boarding school for Choctaw girls; made part of Choctaw National school system 1842, closed 1955. Rev. Wright dies 1853; burried adjacent cemerery; Rev. John Edwards in charge of mission 1853-61.
McCurtain county #choctaw #church #mission #school
Historic Places Tag Cloud : church