- Baptist Mission
Rev. Jesse Busyhead settled here in 1839 following the Cherokee removal from the east and held church services at his home until the Baptist Mission was established in 1841 by Rev. Evan Jones. This site was one of the ration stations known as GA-DU-HO-GA-DU, or Breadtown, by the Cherokee following the removal. A Cherokee National School was founded near here in 1843 and the mission established a female seminary the same year. The Cherokee Messenger printed here beginning in August 1844 and was the first periodical in Oklahoma. The ...
Adair county #baptist #cherokee #church
- Cherokee-Seneca Boundary
Cherokee-Seneca Boundary The east west line here, sec 26, is the old boundary between Cherokee and Seneca nations, the land north of this line was owned under patent by the Seneca of Sandusky, Ohio, by treaty of 1831. The land here south of the line was owned by the Cherokee by treaty of 1828. Oklahoma Historical Society 154-1995.
Delaware county #boundary #cherokee #seneca #treaty
- Claremore Mound
Site of battle of "Strawberry Moon" 1817, when Chief Clermont's Osage village was wiped out by Cherokees. This Osage band from Missouri had settled near the mound at insistence of fur traders of St. Louis. Osages became the wealthiest Indians in Oklahoma by discovery of oil 100 yrs. later on reservation 2 miles west of mound. Oklahoma Historical Society 169-1995
Rogers county #cherokee #indians #osage #settlement
- Fairfield Mission
Established among the western Cherokees by Dr. Marcus Palmer in 1829 under the auspices of Boston based American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. First located in Pope County, Arkansas Territory, and known as Mulberry Mission. Other missionaries serving at Fairfield included Dr. Elizur Butler, Rev. Charles C. Torrey, and teachers, Clarissa Palmer, Lucy Butler, Addie Torrey, and Esther Smith. A circulation library of 150 volumes was established there in 1832 and was likely the first such library in Oklahoma. The ...
Adair county #cherokee #mission
- Fort Wayne
Established in autumn 1839 by Lt. Col. R.B. Mason and 1st Dragoons, U.S. Army, and named in honor of Gen. "Mad" Anthony Wayne. Abandoned on May 15, 1842. Here in July 1861, Col. Stand Watie established a Confederate army post and organized the Cherokee Mounted Rifles. Captured by Federal troops, Oct. 22. 1862 in engagement known as Battle of Fort Wayne.
Delaware county #battle #cherokee #civil war
- Rev. Jesse Bushyhead Grave
Sacred to the memory of Rev. Jesse Bushyhead Born in the old Cherokee nation. Sept. 1804 Died in the present Cherokee Nation July 17, 1844.
Adair county #baptist #cemetery #cherokee #grave #indian #trail of tears
- Robert Rogers
A signer of the treaty of New Echota and grandfather of famed Will Rogers. Robert Rogers moved with his wife, Sally Vann, to Indian Territory about 1837, and established a home about 1 mile northwest. He was killed in 1842 in a tribal feud as were many of the treaty signers following the forced removal of the Cherokees in 1838-39. He is buried near his home site about 1/2 miles north and 3/4 mile west of here. His widow later married a Virginian, William Musgrove. - Oklahoma Historical Society, 64-1995
Adair county #cherokee
- Saline Courthouse
The Saline District Courthouse is the last remaining of nine courthouses for the districts of the Cherokee Nation in Indian Territory. The current structure was built in 1884. The site sits on 14 acres where three fresh water springs meet. It was recently designated as The Saline National Park, the first Cherokee national park. Preservation efforts are currently underway and a Master Plan adopted for the site. More information can be found on www.salinecourthouse.org.
Delaware county #cherokee #courthouse #indian
- Sequoyah's Home
Sequoyah's Cabin was the home during 1829-1844 of Sequoyah, or George Gist, who created a written language for the Cherokee nation. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1965.
Sequoyah county #cherokee #home #sequoyah
- Stand Waite
Stand Watie Degataga Oo-watee Stand Watie was only American Indian to attain rank of Brigadier General during the Civil War and was last Confederate general to surrender. Born in Georgia December 12, 1806, he spoke only the Cherokee language until he was twelve years of age. When Federal Government began urging Cherokees to move to Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina, to a home west of the Mississippi, Stand was one of those who believed it best for Cherokees to make such a move as signer of the Treaty of New Echota in 1836, ...
Delaware county #cherokee #civil war
- Stand Waite Surrender
Confederate Brigadier General Stand Watie commanded all Southern troops in the Department of Indian Territory at the close of the Civil War. Although most of the troops had already been sent home, Watie formally surrendered here on June 23, 1865-the last Confederate general to lay down his arms.*
Choctaw county #cherokee #civil war #military
Western Cherokee capitol, 1829-39, and Court ground for Cherokee Nation. Named for the chief who secured the establishment of Dwight Mission in Arkansas Ter. His brother, John Jolly, served at this capitol as chief, and Sam Houston often visited here. It was Chief Jolly who had given Houston the famous name "The Raven" - Cholonah - an old, Cherokee war title.
Sequoyah county #cherokee
- The Cherokee Advocate
As a tribute to Oklahoma's first legal newspaper, The Cherokee Advocate, was established in 1844 in a building approximately 100' from the location (of this maker.) The marker was dedicated September 6, 1957 by the Oklahoma Press Association and the Oklahoma Professional Chapter of Sigma Delta Chi.
Cherokee county #cherokee #newspaper
- Watie & Ridge
Stand Watie and his cousin, John Ridge, signed 1835 treaty for the Cherokee removal from Georgia to Ind. Ter., which caused a tribal feud. Ridge, young and talented, was assassinated, but Watie escaped their enemies. Later he was Southern Cherokee leader and only Indian commissioned Brig. Gen. in the Confederate States Army
Delaware county #cherokee #civil war
Historic Places Tag Cloud : cherokee