Choctaw Chief's House


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Planned by Greenwood LeFlore, the structure was built for the chief of this district of the Choctaw Nation under the provisions of the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek of 1830. Thomas LeFlore, who was elected chief in 1834, was the first resident of the house. It is the oldest surviving structure in Oklahoma.*


Directions:

On grounds of the old Choctaw Chief's house about two miles northeast of Swink, Choctaw County.*


34.023360, -95.181834
OpenStreetMap | Google Maps | Bing Maps

Pictures:

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

   

 

* Description and directions from Mark of Heritage, by Muriel H. Wright (via Ft. Tours)

Other places listed in Choctaw County