Original plans for creating interstate compact to conserve oil and gas were developed on December 4, 1934, at home of Governor-Elect E.W. Marland, located only a short distance from this spot. Participants from twelve oil producing states took part in these discussions of national and international significance. Purpose was to form a compact for bringing about conservation and prevention of waste in petroleum resources, through coordinated efforts of states. Compact, crating the interstate oil compact commission, was approved February 16, 1935, in Dallas, Texas, and was ratified the same year by legislatures of Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, and consented to by Congress August, 27, 1935. By 1966, thirty states were active members, and three were associate members. Official observers included representatives from Alberta and Saskatchewan in Canada; Columbia and Venezuela in South America; U. S. Departments of Defense and interior; and the Federal Power Commission. Headwaters of Compact Commission established on Capitol grounds in Oklahoma City. - Oklahoma Historical Society 1966.
On the grounds of the Marland Estate, 901 Monument Rd, Ponca City, Oklahoma<
** Information from OHS Historic Markers http://www.okhistory.org
Pictures provided by Dennis McGill.