Northwestern Academy


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Northwestern Academy
Carrier, Oklahoma Territory
1898

Northwestern Academy was financed in part and sponsored by the Congregational Home Missionary Society of Boston, Massachusetts, through the initiative, leadership and dedication of a few Carrier citizens and contributions of money, material and labor by many.

The main building was about 220 yards north and 580 yards east of this spot, in the center of a 10-acre campus donated by Miss Zue Carrier from the homestead she staked in the Race for Claims in the Cherokee Strip on September 16, 1893.

The first classes were held September 19, 1898 for 12 years. Northwestern Academy was an important education cultural and religious center, serving a wide area with significant influence through the years.

...

Erected by Oklahoma State Society Daughters of the American Revolution and Carrier Community Association 1968


Directions:

West Vine and 5th Street
Carrier, Oklahoma


36.476654, -98.020572
OpenStreetMap | Google Maps | Bing Maps

Pictures:

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)
Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

 

 

More Pictures:

Carrier, OK

Northwestern Academy Northwestern Academy

Related Pictures: Carrier, OK

Carrier, Ok Carrier, Ok

Grain Elevators

Carrier, Ok Carrier, Ok

Carrier Congregational Church 1894 - 1928

Carrier Congregational Church 1894 - 1928

Carrier, OK  Vineyard

Vineyard
Links: * GPS Coordinates from other source.

Other places listed in Garfield County