Friendship School


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Friendship School

Dedicated in memory of parents, teachers and friends who thought us the true meaning of friendship, scholarship, sportsmanship, leadership and honor.

For more than sixty years Friendship schools meet the education needs and were theheart of the Friendship community.In 1899, soon after old Greer County was declared to be a part of Oklahoma Territoryand opened for homesteading. Clabber Flat school and after was called Friendship by some of those the school was the original home ofthe Friendship Baptist Church.

Clabber Flat (Friendship School District) consolidated with Navajoe and part of Lone Oakand Riverside school districts. A new school was built to serve the new consolidated district it was called Friendship.

In 1935 Pleasant Point consolidated with Friendship, while a new school was being builtsome students attended classes at theMethodist and Baptist Churches.

In 1937 the last Friendship school was built as a WPA project. In 1947 a part of the OzarkDistrict and later in 1958, the HeadrickDistrict joined the Frienship school District.

On Novemeber 1, 1962, the Friendship Schoolburned and the school year was completed in the abandoned Humphreys School building.In August 1963, Friendship consolidated withWarren School District and formed the school now known as Navajoe School.


Directions:

East of Altus, Ok, Highway 62 turn north at mile marker 45, go to the town of Friendship, from the Friendship/Western Cattle Trail Marker continue on North 1 mile, 1/2 mile West, monument on the south side of road.


34.71047, -99.23632
OpenStreetMap | Google Maps | Bing Maps

Pictures:

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)
Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

     

 

More Pictures:

Friendship School

Friend ship School

1 - Riverside School 1889 - 1920
2 - Lone Oak School 1889 - 1905
3 - Lone Oak School 1905 - 1920
4 - Ricks Post Office 1902 - 1904
5 - Pleasant Point 1889 - 1935
School
6 - Friendship School 1937 - 1962
7 - Friendship School 1920 - 1937
8 - Clabber Flat School 1899 - 1920
9 - Midway Methodist 1913 - 1982
Church
10 - Alfalfa Post Office 1903 - 1905
11 - Friendship Baptist 1908 -
Church
12 - Navajoe School 1889 - 1920
13 - Town of Navajoe 1886 - 1907
14 - White School Circa 1894 - 1920


Historic Sites in The Friendship Area

Friend ship School



Dedicated March 24, 2003

Friendship School CD Number 5
1936
WPA 1936


Friendship School

C.D. No 5
1936
Curtis Booher. Co. Supt.
Clark T. Mc Whorter Supt.

School Board
H. N. Schnorrenberg Pres.
J. L. Wiginton Clerk
Gardon Hudgens Member

Associate Board
T. A. Schackleford
J. B. Baucum
Homer Myers
H. V. West
Porter H. Moss Bldg. Supt.
Schall & Perkins Archts.



Friendship

Friendship

Friendship was once called Alfalfa, serving as the site of the Alfalfa Post Office from 1930 to 1905. Clabber Flat School, which began one mile west and one-half mile north of here in 1899, became the first Friendship School, acquiring its new name because it was the home of the Friendship Baptist Church. After the church was located here in 1908, the town also became known as Friendship. At its peak, Friendship included more than a dozen businesses, all of which gradually closed with the decline in rural population after World War II.

Oklahoma Historical Society 2003 - Friendship History Project.

Other places listed in Jackson County