Stigler School Gymnasium - Auditorium


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

The Stigler school gymnasium / auditorium is a single story stone building constructed as a WPA project in 1936. Construction provided employment for unskilled workers in the area, particularly unemployed coal miners. Besides providing employment, the new school provided space for school and community activities, especially basketball, which fostered a sense of identity and pride not widely known in the region until that time. Listed in the national register 9/8/1988. (#88001384)**


Directions:

NW 4th St & NW E St, Stigler, Oklahoma


35.258303, -95.128223
OpenStreetMap | Google Maps | Bing Maps

Pictures:

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

   

 

** Information from National Register Properties in Oklahoma

Listed with the National Register of Historical Places
Stigler School Gymnasium--Auditorium (added 1988 - Building - #88001384)
Fourth and E Sts., Stigler

  • Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
  • Architect, builder, or engineer: Works Progress Administration
  • Architectural Style: Art Deco
  • Area of Significance: Architecture, Social History, Economics
  • Period of Significance: 1925-1949
  • Owner: Local Gov't
  • Historic Function: Education, Recreation And Culture
  • Historic Sub-function: Auditorium, Sport Facility
  • Current Function: Education, Recreation And Culture
  • Current Sub-function: Auditorium, Sport Facility

 

Links:

Other places listed in Haskell County