Tahlequah


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

Tahlequah was the capital of the Cherokee Nation until statehood and the closing of the Cherokee government. Oklahoma's first newspaper, the Cherokee Advocate, was printed here. The last Cherokee capitol, constructed on the city square in 1872, became the Cherokee County courthouse at statehood. **


Directions:

Located on W Chocktaw St. between Lee and Morris in Tahlequah, Oklahoma


35.913500, -94.979754
OpenStreetMap | Google Maps | Bing Maps

Pictures:

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

   

 

** Information from the Oklahoma Historical Society

Other places listed in Cherokee County