Smithville

Formerly Hatobi (Man-Killer in Choctaw), renamed in 1890 for pioneer Joshua Smith. Center of Choctaw settlement and activity in early period. Olsom training school here 1921-33. Named for Choctaw minister Willis Folsom, W.B. Hubbell superintendent. Sealey Methodist Chapel built on Folsom campus 1925, named for generous donor and former student Sealey Alexander, Salt Link in vicinity inspired name of Big Lick Presbyterian church hear since 1830's
Marker on US Highway 259
No GPS Location Mapped
Exploring Oklahoma History
Links:
  • lasr.net
    SMITHVILLE - Tells story of this early Choctaw settlement which became the town of Smithville. (Marker on US Highway 259)